What are my ALRC RTV legal RRC recovery point options?

mwgriffiths

Hey guys,

I looking for some advice on my recovery points, especially the rear one. I'll be trailing in my '71 RRC and would rather not impede its performance with a massive tow bar wedged on the back ploughing the ground behind me at the first sign of a hill tongue.gif

I've got no need to tow anything so I see no reason why I should butcher my departure angles to fit a tow bar tongue.gif

Ideally I'd like an off the shelf part to make sure it's nice and safe rolleyes.gif

A friend has a jate ring on the front of his classic, so I'll probably do the same, but I'm at a loss as to what to use at the back wink.gif

Any advice you be most welcome, especially if there are any scrutineers out there rolleyes.gif

Matt

I don't know what the rear is like of the RR, but I assume that its the same as a Discovery??

In which case two Jate rings fixed through the holes for the tow bar in the rear cross member work well. Angle them into a V shape and use both together and its as strong as anything. You will need to cut a hole in the rear bumper to do this though.

I didn't know you could put JATE rings through the back! I bet trying to reach them when you're stuck is fun tongue.gif

Having had a look at rules in detail:

B.19. RECOVERY POINTS.

B.19.1. Adequate front and rear recovery attachments must be provided for recovery purposes in all events. Bumpers, tie-down rings, lifting rings or Range Rover / Discovery "tow fittings" are not adequate. Factory specification (or better) trailer hitches are acceptable. If a tow-ball is fitted, welding alone is insufficient - high tensile nuts and bolts must be used for attachment. If the recovery point is attached to a bumper, the bumper must be attached to the chassis with high tensile nuts and bolts. A clevis and pin fitting or pair of Land Rover chassis-shackles (not spring shackles) are recommended.

Do JATE rings fall into the "tow fittings" category?

I'm seeing lots of mixed opinions on JATEs online blink.gif

I like the look of this, which doesn't seem to affect the departure angle too much. Anyone know where I can get one?

jate rings are fine for alrc events.

The only problems i have found with them are they can pull through your chassis. this is mainly when using one though and not using a short strop between the two.

I have done the RTV nationals for the last 2 years and you shouldnt be able to get so stuck where someone needs to do a snatch recovery. so jate rings should be fine. If you were worried about it then I would go for a tank gaurd with built in recovery points. Since this will probably mount off about 4 holes it will obviously be a fair bit more secure, but obviously cost a bit more.

I am not sure who sells them had a quick google but couldnt find anything. somebody must though.

I didn't know you could put JATE rings through the back! I bet trying to reach them when you're stuck is fun tongue.gif

Having had a look at rules in detail:

Do JATE rings fall into the "tow fittings" category?

I'm seeing lots of mixed opinions on JATEs online blink.gif

I like the look of this, which doesn't seem to affect the departure angle too much. Anyone know where I can get one?

In the second picture you can see where you would bolt the Jate rings to the rear of the chassis. He still has lashing eyes bolted there which aren't up to the job.

Why not fit one of these or similar

post-22735-0-75185500-1296897081_thumb.jpgpost-22735-0-66221100-1296897083_thumb.jpgpost-22735-0-13402400-1296897085_thumb.jpgpost-22735-0-09629900-1296897086_thumb.jpg

It says "terrafirma" on the picture, try one of there supliers!

Tbh, a factory tow bar arrangement will protect your fuel tank.

You can also modify a standard towbar arrangement. Instead of the dropplate, put the recoverypoint directly under the rear bumper and angle up the 2 chassislinks to the same location.

This way you still have some protection for the fuel tank without sacrificing your departure angle. We've done this on a couple of RRCs, with very good results. Only requires some fabbing to replace the dropplate.