200 TDI Engine out

Turnip

A simple question...........and probably a stupid one! I have bought a K reg 200 tdi Disco 1 for the engine. I only want to remove the motor and have started disconnecting everything. What Id like to know is - can you remove the motor without dropping the box and tranny down too? It looks mighty tight to get those bell housing bolts?

Im guessing that the trans tunnel is removable from inside? Im not worried about chopping stuff as its a scrapper anyway.

Ive never had a Disco!

Anyone save me from finding out the hard way??

Phil

The problem you will have is that some bell-housing bolts are easy, two are very tricky and there is one bolt that is damn near impossible (and that is the one at the very top of the bell housing with very little space between it and the transmission tunnel.)

If the car is a scrapper, remove the tunnel from inside (cut the tunnel, there is no other way) and the access will be simples!

Don't ask me how I know....

Cheers

Peter

So..........does that mean that to change a clutch for example on a Disco - its eng box and tranny out? Seems like a lot of work for somthing simple??

It's a Land Rover - nothing is simple :rolleyes:

But yes, unless like mine, after you've swapped the engine, you just don't put that top bolt back in again......

It can be done, it is extremely fiddly and you need a very very long extension and you have to go over the top of the transfer box and gearbox and the only space to turn a ratched is at the end of the transfer box/gearbox!

And keep a good selection of Angle Saxon words handy!

Cheers

Peter

Easiest way if the vehicle is scrapper is to cut the slam panel out between the headlights. With the engie strapped up with a 3 point fixing on a crane (2 at the front eaither side and 1 wrapped round the gearbox bellhousing) disconnect all propshafts and engine/g'box mounts and remove completely out the way. You can also unbolt the selector housing from the top of the box (once you have removed the tunel trim) to give you a bit more clearance on the tunnel but its not essential. Then remove the gearbox crossmember, support with a trollay jack inline with the vehicle and drop it down to the floor. Then slowly extract the lot forward and upwards at an angle. Done this many times before and its by far the easiest way.