Thermostat ?

rdw

Hi,

I had an accident in my 2003 TD5 diesel auto - mid December. Ended up sideways in a steep ditch at an angle of 45' with the front o/s wing againt a tree and the rear near side wheel off the ground. It stayed in this position for about a week as the conditions were such it couldn't be recovered. Had the front repaired and when I got it back, the first time I drove it, it lost so much coolant I ended up having it recovered back to home. Topped it up and it only leaks when hot. It's gone back too the repairers and again, I put about 3-4 litres on the garage forecourt. Although the coolant is puddling around the bottom of the rads' we couldn't find the source of the leak. I saw one drip from a connection next to the thermostat. Tried getting the engine up to temperature and found - sods' law - it barely dripped. The hoses were warm as was the expansion bottle but the radiator was cold. The thinking at the garage is that the thermostat is faulty and as the temp and pressure rises it's leaking from the thermostat connections. Does this make sense ? Has anyone experience anything similar ? It was running perfectly before the accident and thinking about it, it was resting with all gravitational force towards the front right headlamp. Is it possible sediment has gotten in to the thermostat and fouled it up to stop it working ? What do other members think ?

Regards

RDW

• 2 weeks later...

A pressure test revealed the spring clip on the bottom rad connection had snapped in half. A 75p jubilee clip from Wickes sorted it. I had bought a new thermostat but couldn't see how I could replace it without stripping out the fan and rads. How is it done ? Also, the electric fan is on constantly, I thought I read on here somewhere, that it is fairly redundant in the UK so I have left it disconnected. Any views on this ?

Genuine thanks for your assistance - Niamh - Danytd5 & Bogmonster - I think without this site the Landy would have been traded in a long time ago !

rdw

A pressure test revealed the spring clip on the bottom rad connection had snapped in half. A 75p jubilee clip from Wickes sorted it. I had bought a new thermostat but couldn't see how I could replace it without stripping out the fan and rads. How is it done ? Also, the electric fan is on constantly, I thought I read on here somewhere, that it is fairly redundant in the UK so I have left it disconnected. Any views on this ?

Genuine thanks for your assistance - Niamh - Danytd5 & Bogmonster - I think without this site the Landy would have been traded in a long time ago !

rdw

I had the same fan problem with my old TD5 and it took ages to find out what was wrong, basically when the engine detects an overheat situation it sticks the fan on all the time the engine is running and i couldnt switch it off until i bought a nanocom.

But until i got the nanocom i just pulled the fuse, cant remember which one as it was ages ago.

Lynall