COMP SAFARI MSA BELT REGS

wadders

Hi there bit of advice required - soz if its in the wrong section.

I have recently purchased a rear engined buggy for this years comp safari season.

Currently the main part of the harnesses run over the shoulder and through the rear bulk head where they are secured to the roll cage in the engine bay.

I have been told that this is no longer acceptable and that I will have to secure them in the cockpit!

Is this correct? Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers

wadders

First of all. How do the shoulder belts get through the bulkhead in to the engine bay?

You need a sealed fireproof bulkhead between engine bay and cockpit that will not allow the passage of fluids or fire. Also, the harness belts are made from nylon / polyester, which is not fireproof or heat resistant, so may be damaged by the engines heat, or in the worst case, you get a fire in the engine bay, crash and die as you go through the windscreen with a trail of melted webbing behind you :unsure:

Just looked in the blue book and -

"2.1.10. Seat belts once involved in a serious accident

should be discarded as they are likely to have

stretched. Belts subjected to oil, acid or heat should be

replaced."