using cruise control

v60lee

Hi all,

I'm in need of some advise. My family and i are driving from the Northeast of England to Dover then through France and onto Spain. I have herd conflicting information about using cruise control and the differences in MPG. Has anyone done a long distance trip and what MPG's did you get. I'm driving a 2001 TD5 manual discovery 2 .

Many thanks

Lee

ive done the same drive but from london , ( not in a disco either but a supra ) - dont worry about cc just enjoy the drive, a few mpg here and there wont make much odds to how much you enjoy the trip - great fun and in a d2 you wont have to worry so much about the average speed cams

Yep, I installed Cruise a while back. Manual TD5, no EGR mods, standard, well-serviced, AT2's, 175k miles. No noticeable MPG differences with/without cruise. Usually just over 30mpg per tank. Upto 34 in summer on a long run. Can dip to 29 if towing and short journeys but that's unusual. Can get over 600 miles to a tank on a good day.

As Oldschool says, more relaxing, and great through average speed cameras.

I don't have cc in my disco, but do in my everyday day car an audi A6. Don't like to use it on long runs as I have found my concentration slips. As for mpg although not a lot of help there is little differnce and over a long journey its not worth worrying about.

I have done the trip through to Spain many times. I use cruise contol a fair bit through France on the long flat stretches but do disengage it every so often to keep my mind on the job (that shouldn't be a problem if you have kids with you though!). The mpg is not much different but cc does make it easier. As I say I dont use it where the roads get undulating because it uses too much gas going uphill.

I agree with Oldsscool make your priority enjoying the trip, and don't forget you get to see much more in a Disco. :)

Which way are you going and where to if you don't mind me asking?

I find cc uses more fuel because it seams to like hammer the throtle insted of feeding it in gently and with hills it let's it slow down a few mph then basically floor the throtle were as you driving it you have a slight run at the hill

But as everyone says enjoy the drive and don't worry about fuel consumption as your driving a landrover not a crapy euro box