Parts for maintenance on converted 90

Hi all ( Apologies if this is posted in wrong section / Double posting )

Very new to land rovers etc and in need of some help if possible.

My 90 is a mix& match of defender 90 with Disco 200Tdi Eng & RRC rear axle.

So far i can find next to nothing serial number wise on the various parts where the should be. ie gear & transfer box the flats have nothing stamped so no serial number apparent. Same for axles.

This presents a bit of a problem when sourcing spares. Although i am not experienced with land rovers ( or any car really passed basic maintenance ) i am more than happy to get stuck in and try to do things myself. Although quite happy to ask for help / advice when i don't know and can't find out on my own.

Can anyone tell me if things like the drain plugs sealing washers on the sumps, gear boxes etc are standard landrover sizes or do they vary from say LT77 to 380s etc. I am not sure what boxes are fitted to mine although i was told it was LT77. I have leaks developing all around the gear box area but not pinpointed as yet.

I also have weeping rear hub seals and again from what i read it does not appear to be a hard job but i want to make sure i get the right parts.

As i am a bit stuck for cash i would like to keep the cost down and do the various jobs my self but don't want to get into a situation where it costs more to rectify my cock-ups than to get a firm to do it from start !!! catch 22 !!!!

I anyone can help identifying types of box, transfer, axles etc and parts required it would be really appreciated. I can post pictures if some one lets me know what they need to see and where to take photo etc.

I did meet up with a really great guy up the A3 from me ( i live near Waterlooville / Portsmouth ) who was going to help doing this very thing but unfortunately he has been ill and had a small accident that has laid him up for some time now and i really need to start making progress.

Sounds a bit lame i know but i have searched the forums but the amount of info ( some conflicting ) can be a bit overwhelming to a beginner and i can't afford to buy to many wrong items.

Best Rgds

Kev

Kev,

You have certainly come to the right place for answers!

To identify gearbox try here:

Ashcroft transmissions

You probably have an LT230 transfer box:

Transfer box stuff

Check the axle breather is clear before you do the hub seals- when i get any spots of oil on my rims I have usually found a blocked breather. Catching this early and cleaning has so far (touchwood) stopped any further leaks without the need to change any seals.

Check the tech archive for how to do things, and if you get stuck then ask. No stupid questions, only stupid answers! :P

Have fun :)

Kev,

You have certainly come to the right place for answers!

To identify gearbox try here:

Ashcroft transmissions

You probably have an LT230 transfer box:

Transfer box stuff

Check the axle breather is clear before you do the hub seals- when i get any spots of oil on my rims I have usually found a blocked breather. Catching this early and cleaning has so far (touchwood) stopped any further leaks without the need to change any seals.

Check the tech archive for how to do things, and if you get stuck then ask. No stupid questions, only stupid answers! :P

Have fun :)

Thanks Quagmire

I found a label which indicates a 1.222 ratio ( not sure if thats good or bad for what i want to do with the 90 ( basically get in & out of muddy farm fields and forestry areas....no off road comps or extreme etc and as little main road as poss due to fuel costs

i will be having another crawl about tomorrow and will try to get some better photos of underside of vehicle possibly try and mosaic them together into one photo!

One question regarding the axle breather, on mine it does not seem, at first glance, to be a push in connection ( photo link below ). Is it possible ( without risk ) to change current connection points to the more modern push in type and if so any ideas who would sell such an item?

Thanks for the input.

Rgds

Kev

AXLE Breather point

IMG_0975.jpg