Reawakening A V8

stuck

Hi all,

I've just come about a 3.9 that has been stood for around two years.

Before it was taken out it was in good order and had all fluids drained.

Would you risk putting some oil in the sump and some ease it down the bores and turning it over by hand or would you strip it and have a look?

Cheers,

Mick.

Put a breaker bar on the crank pulley nut, if it turns initally without too much effort, plug it in and go with it -though I would think about priming the oil pump, as it could well have leaked down in 2 years...

I had a 957cc fiesta engine that got water in a plug hole whilst sitting under a bench, this clearly was not good for it, as it took a really good heave to get it to free up, no idea what it looked like inside, but it gave me another 10,000 miles before the car itself went for scrap, the engine was still going strong, albeit needing a topup every thousand miles, and a bit smokey on overrun... but the engine ran fine, even with the valves permanently dancing around on the bonnet :)

Put a breaker bar on the crank pulley nut, if it turns initally without too much effort, plug it in and go with it -though I would think about priming the oil pump, as it could well have leaked down in 2 years...

I had a 957cc fiesta engine that got water in a plug hole whilst sitting under a bench, this clearly was not good for it, as it took a really good heave to get it to free up, no idea what it looked like inside, but it gave me another 10,000 miles before the car itself went for scrap, the engine was still going strong, albeit needing a topup every thousand miles, and a bit smokey on overrun... but the engine ran fine, even with the valves permanently dancing around on the bonnet :)

If it's been dry stored, i suspect it'll be fine......... i had a v8 years ago, (not a rover one) and it was seized solid.... took the heads off, the literally beat the pistons down the bores, hitting each one in turn, got it free, it smoked a bit after that, but still ran smoothly......!!

Its surprising what engines will take, and people get far too paranoid about these things, it would however be a good idea before turning it over, to remove the plugs, and put a decent teaspoon of oil down each bore, not to lubricate it, but simply to give the rings a seal to create compression..... then you could spin it over with the plugs out until the oil light goes out.... maximum say 20-30seconds at a time..... it shouldn;t take more than a few goes before the oil is pumped around....

Hi,

I recently restarted my RV8 after 10 years of non-use. I drained the oil and put in flushing oil, ran it up with out a problem even on old fuel. Removed the flushing oil and changed the oil filter. Only some time later did I strike a problem when a valve stuck in a head and bent a push rod.

After changing the heads with a donation from a member here it is running again but the cam and tappet is sounding a bit noisy at times.

So I am waiting to see what happens.

Good luck with yours.

Marc.