Troublesome Brake Hoses

tuko

The front brake hoses on the Hybrid are not to my liking, see here:

1110-konga_2010_3573.jpg

Over the past few years I've changed the hoses to + 2" and even lowered the mount another 10cm, but look at the hoses, they are near their breaking point and the suspension hasn't even got any wheres near it's full potential.

I'm fielding the masses for suggestions to save the brake lines at the same time getting some more flex out of the front end.

Plus I'm wondering about the hose configuration, seeing that there is a t - junction bolted to the frame then the 2 hoses lead from that, can I not have the t - junction mounted at the caliper instead and have just one brake line from the frame?

Thanks,

Todd.

The front brake hoses on the Hybrid are not to my liking, see here:

1110-konga_2010_3573.jpg

Over the past few years I've changed the hoses to + 2" and even lowered the mount another 10cm, but look at the hoses, they are near their breaking point and the suspension hasn't even got any wheres near it's full potential.

I'm fielding the masses for suggestions to save the brake lines at the same time getting some more flex out of the front end.

Plus I'm wondering about the hose configuration, seeing that there is a t - junction bolted to the frame then the 2 hoses lead from that, can I not have the t - junction mounted at the caliper instead and have just one brake line from the frame?

Thanks,

Todd.

Hi Todd, I think your problem comes from the chassis mounting point.

My 110 has the chassis mounting point for the hose/brake pipe connection, close to and on the BULKHEAD SIDE of the suspension turret.

Regards, Diff.

Thanks Diff for the solution, I'll move the brake hoses to behind the shock turret. But I'm still wondering about the hoses, can I use one instead of the two that I have today?

I would prefer to move the t-junction to the caliper somewheres and use one hose. I'm thinking that it would be less to break but I'm concerned if it's OK ?

Todd.

Thanks Diff for the solution, I'll move the brake hoses to behind the shock turret. But I'm still wondering about the hoses, can I use one instead of the two that I have today?

I would prefer to move the t-junction to the caliper somewheres and use one hose. I'm thinking that it would be less to break but I'm concerned if it's OK ?

Todd.

Hi Todd,

Since you have two hoses, I am guessing that the calipers are from a Range Rover. Standard Defender calipers only have one hose. Since (presumably)you only have one brake line from the master to each chassis mount in front of the turret, and then a T piece into two hoses, it shouldn't make any difference where the T piece is. So I would say, yes, you can move the T piece to the hub and have two small rigid pipes to the caliper, and one hose from the hub to the chassis. As with all these things you must make sure that the T piece and rigid pipes at the caliper are secured so that they can't be 'flexed' by any tugging exerted by a flapping brake hose.

Regards, Diff.

Hej Diff,

According to the original build sheet for my hybrid, the front brakes are from an early LR 90 therefore I've always assumed that they are :unsure: .... I'll have to take a picture.

David,

thanks for the pictures, they are excellent! Awesome brake lines, were they expensive?

Thanks both for the info, I'll get at this once the cold weather goes back up north.

Cheers,

Todd.