Slipping torque converter 300TDi?

Niamh

We're having a good week for transmission woes!

Our road automatic 300TDi seems to be suffering from what I'd describe as a slipping clutch were it a manual in that when driving along the revs will suddenly increase and then a second later drop back to normal, it doesn't feel as though the box is hunting between gears so could it be anything other than the torque converter slipping?

Niamh

The torque converter only locks up over about 53mph, that varies slightly and often the speedo reads fast too.

It's possible the gears are hunting because the oil is low or dirty. Problem is that new oil can shift up the muck that has settled and fling it into the governor, bad news if it happens.

It might be worth a new filter inside the box and a dose of oil (it takes 3 full changes to replace all the oil because you can't empty the torque converter).

My sister found the kickdown on hers a bit sensitive too, I moved it to a different hole on the arm and made it less sensitive, so you can use more throttle before it kicks down.

Worst case scenario could be that one of the bands inside is going, but unless it's had a hard life or been tot he moon and back I wouldn't expect a TDi gearbox to get trashed the way a V8 can do.

If oil level is brown... that's not a good sign, should be a clear red in colour.

I'd get it changed (and the filter) and fingers crossed it keeps it going for a while, but ultimately brown ATF is bad news :(

FWIW the colour was good last Sept when we checked the level before going to France

So-

Drain

Drop gearbox sump and clean all the muck out

Fit new screen

Refit sump

Fill

Drive a few miles

Drain

Fill

Drive a few miles

Drain

Fill

Which should mean that the old oil in the torque converter is flushed out?

Niamh

Worst case scenario could be that one of the bands inside is going

Just had the owner of a local indie garage give it a test drive and within 50 yards he diagnosed exactly this.

As it's not a job they can do he's doing some research to see if there's a good local autobox rebuilder.

Niamh

That's certainly something we have in mind, but there is also the factor that the charges from small firms out here are way less that in a big city.

We shal see what the man has to suggest after he's done some phoning.

Niamh

I can highly recommend the Ashcroft option.

I would also replace the flex-plate whilst the box is off as they are known to fail (i have had 2 break) and until it is unbolted from the engine you can't always see if it's busted.

When I changed the box on mine I didn't change the flex plate and had the thing apart about 6 weeks later as the centre failed leading to a horrible rattle (small bloke, big hammer inside bell housing type noise).

Pete

How do you recomend flushing the cooler pipes? I've had a terminal gearbox failure and I'm saving for an Ashcroft's nutter spec replacement, I don't want it to die (in fact i want to be buried in it) so how do I get the pipes clean other than with new ones?

Ashcroft's will supply an aerosol flushing system with the new box (well they did with mine) which works very well.

They also sell it separately click here

Pete.