2'' lift kit

chazsmash

Hi all, can anyone recommend a middle of the range 2" lift kit for a 89 Range Rover classic please( springs and shocks), have got to overhaul the suspension anyway and thought i may as well lift it a little in the process, wont be getting used for any serious stuff just a bit of laning,and the odd rtv.

Cheers Charlie

Mines has got 2" scorpion racing springs and pro comp +2" Shocks, dislocation cones on the rear fue to the shocks but to be honest when i had my normal shocks on the rear, it done ok.

Normal shocks on the front.

77e3de95.jpg

Other than standard shocks will limit the travel of a lifted motor, so it won't articulate as well.

I might have a near new Britpart lift with shocks for sale, but at the moment it's still on the car.

Most lifted vehicles have less travel than standard. You will also find that most lifted springs are basically no longer than standard. So unless you have added weight to the vehicle, you do not add a lift if you still want it to articulate.

Sounds like i need to research the technicalities of lifting my Range Rover before i start spending any money, would hate to just do it for the asthetics, as i do like the higher look!!!, previously lifted my old disco 1 with a cheap and cheerrfull kit, 200 and something pounds but started to look tatty after a bit of green laneing and a few pay and play days(cant remember the make but it was all yellow). Would like to be educated more on the subject of the effects of lifting both good and bad if anyone feels like turning professor for 10 minutes.

In answer to one question would be looking at spending about £300 once i get the main tidying and MOT jobs done on my new toy.

Cheers

Charlie

I had to read that 3 times before I got my head round what you said, but yes lifted springs being stiffer don't flex as much, so without lockers they can lead to getting cross-axled easier than your tired old factory fit springs. I'm told trailers like to use old springs and shocks so they can keep ground pressure more even at all 4 wheels (which is the real beauty of EAS).

My guess is the £200 kit on your Disco was a Britpart +2" kit. (with dampers): cheap and maybe-not-so-cheerful. (£190 from MM4x4 iirc)

At £300 I've seen Bearmach blue springs (+2") and Pro Comp +2" dampers recommended, that comes in at ~£240 inc VAT (MailOrder4x4 iirc), and you might want to invest the rest in some extended stainless steel brake lines to cope with the lift. I'm still looking for mine, and haven't made my mind up but my budget will be about the same.

It doesn't help that whenever I see kits for sale online they're all listed as "springs and shocks" which drives me insane :P [/pedant] [/engineer]

Don't forget tyres too :) increasing the outer diameter of the tyre will help you hugely in ruts because it is lifting the entire car up relative to the ground (And screw with your speedo readings....). Larger outer diameter tyres mean you should have more clearance under your axles. Personally I'm torn between some Kumho KL71's (Very good) and some Kingpin Tracker MTs (Very cheap) in 31 10.50 fit or similar in metric sizes. The problem is that size of tyre will need a 2" lift and may still rub slightly dry.gif

You can also look at body lifts, but I'll leave that for someone to explain...

Sounds like i need to research the technicalities of lifting my Range Rover before i start spending any money, would hate to just do it for the asthetics, as i do like the higher look!!!, previously lifted my old disco 1 with a cheap and cheerrfull kit, 200 and something pounds but started to look tatty after a bit of green laneing and a few pay and play days(cant remember the make but it was all yellow). Would like to be educated more on the subject of the effects of lifting both good and bad if anyone feels like turning professor for 10 minutes.

In answer to one question would be looking at spending about £300 once i get the main tidying and MOT jobs done on my new toy.

Cheers

Charlie

You are best staying with Land Rover springs. There are a large selection of different lengths and weights which allow you to better set up your vehicle than a one size fits all approach from many aftermarket places.

http://www.4x4store-exeter.co.uk/catalog/The%204x4%20store%20rr%20ca/RR%20web%20gallery/SPRINGS.HTM

You are best staying with Land Rover springs. There are a large selection of different lengths and weights which allow you to better set up your vehicle than a one size fits all approach from many aftermarket places.

http://www.4x4store-...ery/SPRINGS.HTM

Which combination of those, if any, will give a 2" lift our of interest? I read something about Disco diseasel front springs and RRC HD police springs on the back, but I'm not sure that'd be quite high enough for my needs

Cheers for all the info, may stick with an original set up for a bit and remove the plough i mean towbar off the back, was hoping an extra couple of inches of lift would allow me to leave it on but decided to get rid as i have one on my van if i need to tow a trailer. Get the point about longer springs being stiffer also, didn't really think of that one before "doh". Will check out the prices of some standard kit and hope that quenches my thirst if it is considerably cheaper than a lift kit.

Cheers again

Charlie

Just a thought but what year is your car? in the early 80s LR dropped the ride height by one inch, so my comment about red/white not giving you a lift might not be strictly accurate. I stuck some "police spec" springs IE red/whites and TDi spec fronts onto a 3.9 EFi and had a fairly healthy ride height, similar to an early RRC perhaps but nowhere near the 2" on my serious toy. Very supply springs though but a bit wallowy for towing, I prefer D1 spec rears.

Anyway, a new set of springs is going to put the car back up where it was meant to be, old springs often sag with age.

Just a thought but what year is your car? in the early 80s LR dropped the ride height by one inch, so my comment about red/white not giving you a lift might not be strictly accurate. I stuck some "police spec" springs IE red/whites and TDi spec fronts onto a 3.9 EFi and had a fairly healthy ride height, similar to an early RRC perhaps but nowhere near the 2" on my serious toy. Very supply springs though but a bit wallowy for towing, I prefer D1 spec rears.

Anyway, a new set of springs is going to put the car back up where it was meant to be, old springs often sag with age.

Now that is interesting. Not sure its applicable to the OP (his is a 3.5 EFI according to another thread) but it is to my '71.

You may regret posting that though :P Here comes 20 questions :D

• How did they drop it? What's the difference?

• If I went with the diseasel/HD springs would I end up with a ride height / arch clearance roughly equivalent to a 2" lift on a 90's 3.9? I've not seen any 70's 2 doors RTVing so I've been basing my lift needs off 3.9s assuming they were the same to begin with dry.gif

• Its not just height though, how do the spring rates compare between your average 2" lift and a set of HD springs? I assume the red/whites are stiffer and might mean I loose a bit of articulation? I know that's an awful question because all the 2" kits will be different.... but I thought I'd ask anyway, just in case :P

• And lastly.... for now.... Where does one find genuine LR springs? I've seen Paddocks offer them, but I can smell the Britpartness a mile off :P Either that or £9 per spring is an absolute bargain ph34r.gif

Its getting some tasty 31's on each corner if that changes your answer.

Cheers :)