Lt95 gearbox play

Finn

Your rear output bearing has likely gone in the transfer box. Can be replaced with relative ease I think, might even be a write up in the tech archive. There's one somewhere though, as I've read it!

Unless of course the drum/prop is loose on the flange, but I'd have thought that was fairly obvious...

'Unless of course the drum/prop is loose on the flange, but I'd have thought that was fairly obvious... '

That would mean that the centred front nut (the large one) is loose? (that is not the case).

I still haven't opened it yet, as I need a second man to counter the flange on the front.

the gearbox is not in the vehicle at the moment.

There are 4 bolts coming out at the back of the drumbrake. These should hold the propshaft (shaft is not connected) and the nuts are missing. Is it in this case normal to have play?

Cheers,

Finn

In that case no, there shouldn't be a large amount of play like you describe. I believe the rear output bearing is a taper roller, so there shouldn't be any play at all.

Check the big nut is tight (you'll need someone to brace against as you say), and if so then it's the rear bearing most likely :(

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the outer bearing and seal today (not pictured)..

But I think there is still play on it. Haven't build it together yet.

Because I can move the whole inside (see picture) up and down..

Is this normal at this stage?

6641045cmg.jpg

Ok, I have put everything back together and there is still a bit of play on the handbrakedrum. Not as much as it had, but still a couple of mm.

What would be the next thing to ckeck? Or is it normal to have a bit of play?

Thanks,

Finn