Wheels n stuff

Phil B

Well after tracking my suspicious drivetrain issues down to a buggered slack slide coupling on my front prop and acquiring a cheap replacement thanks to a mate I'm deciding on what wheels to get

I'm looking into getting a set of modulars running 235/16 Tyres but I can't decide whether to go 70 or 85.... I'm running a set of es freestyle alloys with 265 and spacers which is pulling my front bearings to **** so my option is either stay same r.r or go to std r.r I do a fair bit of towing so spacers are not my idea of bearing friendliness but at the same time how are modulars for this purpose?? It's a tri axle ifor cattle trailer plated to 3.5t also I'm wondering if the increased rolling radious of the 265 plays around with my power when loaded up ( having the increased area making it harder to pull over time.....) (silly idea maybe but worth asking) also where's the best supplier with the best deal?? I'm quite happy with my insa turbo dakars so remoulds aren't a prob

I'm also swapping my turbo for a less jiggered one and I am going to decat and possibly de middlebox it too who sells the cheapest (ish) mild steel kits??

Thanks in advance ppl

235/70 R16 are standard fitment, the 265's will definately cause you issues with towing! If you want to keep 265's why don't you put a Defender Transfer box (1.4 ratio) on as the gearing will be much nicer for towing.

I run spacers on my disco and have had no wheel bearing issues, i also run them on my challenge truck with 35's and have no issues with bearings. Are they Timken bearings or some Chinese/Indian effort?

Yeah I'm thinking of just going to some dakar 235/70's or some bf's if the package works out cheap enough as it needs to be dependable maybe keep the rims for play or sell them to make me money back either way I don't want to be messin with boxes until mine packs up.....

My other option is to get some 235/70 Dakar's from down the road for 70+vat fitted on my freestyle alloys sell the old tyres sell the spacers but will they scrub much at STD offset... That's a point, modulars, what offset are they off the shelf?? Std or equivalent to my spacers??

Ordered myself the dakars and will be removing the spacers when fitting them, waiting on a spare es alloy for the back which will be shod in new rubber, will be replacing prop and tightening bearing up when it's sorted

Then will look into sorting the turbo and exhaust system