Steering Rattle

Gents,

My 110 Td5 has developed a metallic rattle from the top of the steering column.

This seems to occur when one tyre hits a bump and is much worse when she is cold for some reason, I have very little left to right play turning the steering wheel and non at all when I try to force the steering wheel up & down or side to side.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Mick.

top steering column UJ is either worn or one of the 2 bolts has worked a little loose allowing the Uj to pivot slightly on the splines of the column.

had this on mine a month after fitting new UJs top and bottom. Was well upset thinking the UJs were junk, but after waggling the column with my little finger stuck inside the UJ on the end of the shaft splines, i could feel a miniscule amount of movement. Quick tighten up of hte bolts and bingo, noise gone!

Mine is a TD5 and have one bolt in the upper part of the UJ and 2 strange heads in the lower part...

I believe your lower column is item 6 in this link http://www.numcat.ru/landrover/p/31/53703/

the bolt heads shown have a flange on them [like a built in washer] you can change them to normal bolts but make sure the plain shank length is the same.