V8 distributor options

lansalot

Hi

Mid-engine swap, and as the ignition types were different, I went to swap distributors. Thought it would be easy, but the oil-pump drive types are different. See attached. What's my best way forward here - advice gratefully received!

Thank

A

post-4925-0-24083900-1303070449_thumb.jpg

post-4925-0-80189400-1303070438_thumb.jpg

post-4925-0-81966500-1303070426_thumb.jpg

post-4925-0-10335600-1303070415_thumb.jpg

Megasuirt is sitting in a box ready to go - but I want to run it on carbs for a bit first as I have a new cam and I figure it will be easier to spark it up and run it on that first (just to bed the cam in).

Which reminds me.. I lost my triggerwheel sensor. Bloody thing... :-(

Thanks, I had thought the roll-pin would be the right way to go, cheers for that :)

A

Ack !

OK, the oil-pump drive gears - where the roll-pin goes through, one is <1mm closer to the top. With the end-result that when we swapped the ends round and put the roll-pin back through, the old distributor with the new drive gear wouldn't turn - it was that hard up against the base of the distributor. Yup, they look identical, but the tape measure says otherwise. FFS...

Plan B - junk the lumenition stuff (blue distributor) and use the one that came off the 3.9EFI Rangey (till MS is up and running). So, that's the top pic above there then.

Can anyone advise how I wire the two spade terminals on the side? And what do I do with the coil as well? (I kinda need a potted history of coil/amplifier wiring in as simple terms as possible I think.. So much work to do before the weekend ;-))

Cheers

A

Megas....... Oh OK :)

Basically the part under the unit and between the drive unit is a "shim"

Mismatch them and you either have woooo sloppy or super tight - which you have

pop drive unit in a lathe and just face off the unit a tad, try a refit and look through

the line up holes, .....you'll see if it needs more ...............etc etc

I have to do this on most of the Megasquirt dumpy dizzys to get a no slop but nioty too tight unit :)

Hope this helps

Nige

Thanks Nige

Am currently keeping the distributor/carbs, just till I get the new cam run in. Megasquirt is all sitting there ready to go (I swear!!!) and I even found my crank sensor last night !

Do you know how I wire the amplifier on the side of this distributor ?

post-4925-0-70896600-1303287281_thumb.jpg

A

Thanks Nige

Am currently keeping the distributor/carbs, just till I get the new cam run in. Megasquirt is all sitting there ready to go (I swear!!!) and I even found my crank sensor last night !

Do you know how I wire the amplifier on the side of this distributor ?

post-4925-0-70896600-1303287281_thumb.jpg

A

positive to positive on coil and negative to negative on coil. :) i think white it positive and white and black negative off the top of my head..

positive to positive on coil and negative to negative on coil. :) i think white it positive and white and black negative off the top of my head..

Thanks fella. Hope it's clear on the amplifier which is which.. ;-)

(as I have no wires to it at the moment, I mean..)