Rusty Sills

61a

Laying underneath my Disco yesterday replacing the leaky output shaft on the transfer box I found a big hole in the nearside sill. I knew they were getting a bit thin in places but now have a hole about 4 inches long !!!

Having owned it for nearly 5 years I am keen to try and get another 5 years use at least so am looking to either weld it up myself or have a local garage do the work . Looking on ebay I have come across some "Easy On" sills.

Has anyone any experience of these as on the face of it they seem an easier option than cutting out the rot and trying to find some solid metal to weld too. Having watched the link on you tube they appear to be a good option as I now that one I start poking about I will find some more holes. Thankfully the floor is in really good nick ( probably as a result of the leaky seal ! ) so the old girl is definitely worth saving.

Thanks Jules

I'm going to be using some of the 'easy-on' stuff in the coming months on mine so would be interested to see how you get on if you go down that route. I'm plannign to get the pack containg sills, A and B pillar bottoms for both sides and 2 front inner wings.

The large hole is in the flat pice at the bottom so would be relatively easy to plate. However, having a bit of a poke about the outside underneath the plastic cover appears to have a few smaller areas of rust especially where the holes were drilled to take the plastic rivets !!! The inside on both sills is remarkably solid so I am wondering when its repaired whether to bother with the covers.

Jules

I've not seen one of there easy on sills, but I would guess they are what is commonly known as 'skin sills' in that you get just the outer bit (covered by the plastic trim), the hole underneath would have to be dealt with seperately. If that's the case, then I would repair the holes - the outer ones being covered by the trim anyway, and the underside being invisible.

Les.

I think you are probably right Les, they do look like they just cover the old sill up rather than deal with the actual holes themselves.

Better get myself some steel and patch them up as there does still seem to be some sound metal to weld onto.

Thanks for your thoughts

Jules

I agree having had a really good look this morning. The worst of the rust is in the bottom section for about the last 15 inches, thankfully not one large hole.

My main concern over the cover type sills was that they were purely cosmetic and whilst they would probably get it nicely through its mot I would have a nagging doubt that all I would have done is paper over the cracks and be storing up more expensive trouble for the future. Thankfully the B pillars are sound so hopefully it should be a simple plating job.

Jules

Years ago I used to weld on over sills on things like Mini's and the dreadded 1100's. I always drilled holes in them to let the water out, thty lasted much longer that way. Ususlly the rest of the vehicle dies before needing to replace the over sills again, but not always.

Please post a photo when you have done the job, my N reg 300 tdi is beginning to look a bit moth eaten, and I want to keep it for as long as I possibly can.