rpm signal disappearing

des90

Hi all-just fitted edis 8 to ms2 equiped 4.6-not starting!! RPM signal disappears after about 3 seconds of cranking-anybody got any idea's ?-i'v not got the saw wire connected to check the timing and on initial cranking it shows 20deg advanced then quickly drops down to 10 deg? I'v thought of duff vr pick up-but it came from a running car-also the engine has a 3.9 serpentine front on it and mounting the trigger wheel was a problem.If the tw was mounted on the back of the pulley the balance rim had to be left off-terrific wobble on start up so mounted it between the outer pulley and the damper- the trouble with this settup is that the tw is tight up the damper and the same diameter and i'm wondering if the vr sensor is getting a clean signal

VR sensor polarity correct?

Has the ECU been modified to work with EDIS?

Where are you "showing" the advance - on the laptop screen or with a timing light?

The more & clearer info you give the easier it is to help - posting logs from MegaTune always helps too.

Hi all-just fitted edis 8 to ms2 equiped 4.6-not starting!! RPM signal disappears after about 3 seconds of cranking-anybody got any idea's ?-i'v not got the saw wire connected to check the timing and on initial cranking it shows 20deg advanced then quickly drops down to 10 deg? I'v thought of duff vr pick up-but it came from a running car-also the engine has a 3.9 serpentine front on it and mounting the trigger wheel was a problem.If the tw was mounted on the back of the pulley the balance rim had to be left off-terrific wobble on start up so mounted it between the outer pulley and the damper- the trouble with this settup is that the tw is tight up the damper and the same diameter and i'm wondering if the vr sensor is getting a clean signal

You could mount the trigger wheel between two 5mm thick lumps of steel and the sensor would still pick it up - providing it's right up next to it of course!

I'm assuming you've left the SAW off to check timing with a timing light? If it's triggering the timing light, then EDIS is doing it's job. That'd point in the direction of something wrong between EDIS and MS (or even the MS unit itself if it's not been set up for EDIS).

A Megatune log would be very useful, as would screenshots of the settings pages in MT. Photos of both sides of the MS PCB would be useful too.

Where did you buy the MS unit? Self build? Built by a pro?

You could mount the trigger wheel between two 5mm thick lumps of steel and the sensor would still pick it up - providing it's right up next to it of course!

I'm assuming you've left the SAW off to check timing with a timing light? If it's triggering the timing light, then EDIS is doing it's job. That'd point in the direction of something wrong between EDIS and MS (or even the MS unit itself if it's not been set up for EDIS).

A Megatune log would be very useful, as would screenshots of the settings pages in MT. Photos of both sides of the MS PCB would be useful too.

Where did you buy the MS unit? Self build? Built by a pro?

Sorted ! VR sensor -reversed wiring and bingo-now on with tuning the ignition table.I have been playing around with the table and the engine runs best with a maximum of 31deg advance-does anybody know what a standard 4.6's maximum advance is in the land rover ecu?