Sick TD5

Gents,

Coming back from a mornings clay pigeon shooting, I was doing around 70 on the motorway when she seemed to loose a chunk of power and the temperature gauge started swinging around from cold to red hot, ah electrical gremlins I thought, after about a minute the gauge dropped to the bottom so I foolishly pressed on.

At the top of the slip road steam started drifting up the bulkhead, not good.

Limped home and popped the bonnet to the delightful sound of the expansion tank boiling away.

Had a quick look around, fan belt is still there, hoses are all ok and the oil looks good but I can't help thinking head gasket or worse... :(

What are the common engine issues on an early TD5?

Is it time to start shopping for a 4.6?

Cheers,

Mick.

I'm not aware of them eating head gaskets.

Check the basics first. Rad not blocked, waterpump working. (I have read that the pump shaft can shear, therefore no flow), heat from the heater.

Then check the usual water/oil contamination, steam from exhaust etc..

I must not panic post, I must not panic post, I must not...

Cheers Gromit,

After taking the fan cowl off I can see that the rad has split, no sign of water in the oil or vapour from the exhaust, may have got away with it this time...

I had a 2001 TD5 disco and that had to have a new head. :( This was due to a cracked head. I was told by the LR technician at the dealer that it was a fairly common problem with them. My symptoms where loss of power and coolant loss and increased engine oil level.

Shame great car otherwise.