Wiring 300tdi bumper rear lights into a 200tdi disco

axlechorus

Dear All

I have just managed to acquire a HD bumper to replace the rather battered item currently on my 200tdi. It’s got the 300tdi bumper lights which I want to make use of to assist the 200tdi's rather terrible stock rear lighting. My question is once I have brought the light units to go in the bumper how do I go about wiring in these into the car's systems. It is all setup for towing with the relay in the rear right corner so could I pick up off this for the power and the braking/indicators/rear lights?

All the best

Ryck

You can pick up the feeds off the trailer wiring or from the rear body lights either side.

Stock set up is side and indicator lights in the bumper but you can get side and brake bulb holders and wire the lights up with both signals. LED lamps are a good idea as the 21W element of the brake light causes the red lens to develop a heat bubble in the centre... like mine!

Might need to replace the indicator relay as well as the additional load might trigger the trailer telltail on the dash.

Chris, I think I will go for getting bulbs which can do side and brake lights as well as indicators and if LED's aren't that much than normal units I will go with those. Any ideas on supplier?

My machine has recently started to use the trailer telltail on the dash as opposed to it only flashing once and the indicator light being out all the time. I think I might sort that all out at the same time.

Many thanks.

Ryck

Bolt-on Bits spring to mind for the led lamps, ebay will throw some more up no doubt, you'll need to get the bulb holders and connector plug for the brake and side combined, the Freelander ones fit the bumper lights

Yeah ebay appears to be full of LED's so I will take a look through for ones that suit my needs once I have the bumper and other parts all fitted. I will also look at the freelander bulb holders to go on there. Many thanks for your help and I will hopefully be able to post up How to guide of some form when I do all the wiring.

All the best

Ryck

• 1 month later...

Chris

Just started to sort this out and am looking at the freelander bulb holders, Do you happen to have a part number so I can identify the right ones? Assuming they are these ones?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-FREELANDER-98-04-REAR-LIGHTS-BULB-HOLDERS-/180633738658?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a0e9c1da2

In which case the two in this listing will be ideal to combine with these rear lights(yes a bit modern but they are as cheap as take off ones by the looks of it)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360350893811&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Then I will just need to pick up the combined brake light/rear light LED's to go into the bulb holders unless the ones supplied with the rear lights will do both?

All the best

Ryck

Hi Ryck,

The Freelander lamp holders are part number RXBP100190 plus RSTC4637 for the 3 terminal loom with the connector (you need two of each). There's a complete kit here - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/200612353760

The one's in the ebay link only look to be side light only so won't do what you want.

I would imagine the lights would be c/w standard filament lamps (yellow indicator and red side light) - if you get the LED lamps I'm pretty sure you can get them in white but light up in the correct colour so you don't end up with the fried egg look in the clear lenses!

Assuming you are going to wire in the extra indicator lamps then The indicator flasher relay will need replacing with a 4 bulb type from a 300tdi.

If you dont do this the bulbs will flash slower as the system isnt set up to work with 4 bulbs.

Im sure someone will confirm part numbers in a bit

Cheers Chris, I don't think that item sold so hopefully I can pick it up and get those parts in one go and also get those clear lamps after checking out the LED situation. I'll hopefully get it all done for my trip upto Gatescarth on the 5th along with wiring in my new front seats from an ES model, Once I find the ruddy wiring and switches :(

Cheers for all your help

Ryck

• 1 year later...

Assuming you are going to wire in the extra indicator lamps then The indicator flasher relay will need replacing with a 4 bulb type from a 300tdi.

If you dont do this the bulbs will flash slower as the system isnt set up to work with 4 bulbs.

Im sure someone will confirm part numbers in a bit

Guys do any of you have these numbers? My MOT is due shortly and under the new rules I need to get this sorted (I know it really affects how the car runs) assuming by going to a 4 indicator relay that will see the proper indicator light flashing on the dash rather than the trailer one?