Antifreeze

Cheers chaps,

Ralph could you enlighten me as to what the total cooling volume is so I can calculate the 33% please?

Thanks,

Mick.

Td5 cooling system capacity according to the RAVE CD manual is 13 litres or 22.88 pints

amend my reply above it also states Td5 should have a 50% mix for all conditions, see the 'antifreeze' section lower left on the attached page

post-20-0-03716200-1305478296_thumb.jpg

Personally I think 50% antifreeze is too much, especially as antifreeze cuts down on the efficiency of the cooling system. On Rolls-Royce V12s (Merlin, Griffon) we used 40% and that sounds about right. I live in a country where it rarely freezes at all and have always run my engines at 40%, mainly for the anti-corrosion properties of the antifreeze. And I now have 300k kms on the original radiator, water pump and all hoses on my 1995 300tdi. I also use best quality antifreeze and check the PH and the strength every so often. If you don't change the antifreeze every couple of years it becomes acidic (or less alkaline than it should be) and then problems start.

If you have means of testing it, new antifreeze is normally more than Ph 10, and if it drops below about 8.2 it should be changed.

Personally I think 50% antifreeze is too much, especially as antifreeze cuts down on the efficiency of the cooling system. On Rolls-Royce V12s (Merlin, Griffon) we used 40% and that sounds about right. I live in a country where it rarely freezes at all and have always run my engines at 40%, mainly for the anti-corrosion properties of the antifreeze. And I now have 300k kms on the original radiator, water pump and all hoses on my 1995 300tdi. I also use best quality antifreeze and check the PH and the strength every so often. If you don't change the antifreeze every couple of years it becomes acidic (or less alkaline than it should be) and then problems start.

If you have means of testing it, new antifreeze is normally more than Ph 10, and if it drops below about 8.2 it should be changed.

I didn't know pH was critical, thanks for that Jim.

Thinking back on it, the coolant of the Griffon engines in Shackeltons was checked after every flight with litmus paper. If it went pink (I think, it was a long time ago now), the coolant had to be changed. Whether this was standard litmus paper as we used to use at school or a special type I don't know.

If your coolant becomes acidic the whole radiator can act as a battery and will be full of holes in no time at all. Also your radiator must be electrically connected ie. grounded to the chassis/body to avoid this effect. So if you have perfect rubber mountings and rubber pipes you could be in trouble!