What tops someone opening bottom tailgate (early rrc)

My 72 Rangie has external tailgate handle, can't see how locking the upper tailgate makes any difference to the lower one, if you pull it quite hard it opens without the top being opened. I was wondering if I had some part missing which is supposed to stop it doing that.

Yes possibly, does your have the lifting flaps on the top edge of the bottom tailgate?

I can't recall seeing those lifting flaps on early tailgates, but happy to be proved wrong as I've only seen a few. I always thought it was just the fit of the top tailgate against the lower that prevented it being opened first.

shouldn't need different goalposts, I believe the mechanism is the same at the sides of the tailgate. We converted a early 80's RRC from external to internal handle by just changing the lock mechanism a good few years back.

Looking at your photos the goalposts look exactly the same as mine.

shouldn't need different goalposts, I believe the mechanism is the same at the sides of the tailgate. We converted a early 80's RRC from external to internal handle by just changing the lock mechanism a good few years back.

Looking at your photos the goalposts look exactly the same as mine.

I think there are some annoying subtle differences. Nothing that can't be "tweaked" though :P

I wouldn't worry too much about the tailgate, if I wanted something from your motor then the rear-side windows or front quarter light would be my first port of call, those plastic "locks" don't look up to the job tbqh blink.gif

Brilliant, thanks! I think it possibly is supposed to have two of these, I assume they are retained by the galvanised riveted plate along the top.

If I wanted to convert to inside handle tailgate, I presume I'd need different goalpost?

The plastci things are held in be a screw from the inside face, I can't remember exactly but they fit through the top trim and i think secure to the tailgate itself. Biy fiddly the first time I swapped one.

I had a GRP tailgate a while back, the end catches were totally different, not sure what year it was from but had external handle so I sold it on.

Also IIRC the early eaxtrnal handle tailgate has the swing down number plate, these are not legal on later cars I think. Lke the Mini they are intended to allow you to transport goods on the open tailgate.

I had a GRP tailgate a while back, the end catches were totally different, not sure what year it was from but had external handle so I sold it on.

Other than the catches was it a good fit? Did it feel like it'd take the weight of someone sitting on it? Even my "good" tailgate is bad, and I've got an aluminium top so I was considering a GRP one because I want my motor to last another 40 years, preferably without another rebuild - but if it won't last then there's no point :P

Also IIRC the early eaxtrnal handle tailgate has the swing down number plate, these are not legal on later cars I think. Lke the Mini they are intended to allow you to transport goods on the open tailgate.

The drop down bit is correct, a '72 should definitely have one. It's got the registration plate lights built into it too so I see no reason why Mr MOT or Mr DVLA could have an issue with it:

5604016825_2bb71e19e2_b.jpg

Other than the catches was it a good fit? Did it feel like it'd take the weight of someone sitting on it? Even my "good" tailgate is bad, and I've got an aluminium top so I was considering a GRP one because I want my motor to last another 40 years, preferably without another rebuild - but if it won't last then there's no point :P

The drop down bit is correct, a '72 should definitely have one. It's got the registration plate lights built into it too so I see no reason why Mr MOT or Mr DVLA could have an issue with it:

5604016825_2bb71e19e2_b.jpg

I once dismantled a 1978 model (about 15 years ago). That had the swing down number plate bracket as in your picture. (Just info for someone's reference one day.)

The plastci things are held in be a screw from the inside face, I can't remember exactly but they fit through the top trim and i think secure to the tailgate itself. Biy fiddly the first time I swapped one.

The catches are very different between the two types. The internal handle tailgates have a catch similar to the rear 60/40 seats. You could possibly go from the old type to the new type with engineering up some adaptors, would be a lot more difficult going the opposite way as the old type are a bar going well into the sides of the frame.

I have used a 1978 ish tailgate with fixed plate, but I think I'll keep the swinging bit on the shelf from my 72 tailgate as they're probably getting rare .

ACtually It might be possible to engineer an internal handle on to the early tailgate , keeping the early style hardware at the sides, but I will worry about that another day.