Tight Box...oooer....

DiscoStu

Hi all,

Disappointingly, I wanted to ask a question about my gearbox! When cold, warm, running about, off roading etc my gearbox is fine if a little notchy on 2nd - no news there.

It's a recently new to me truck, 300Tdi 1995.

After motorway journeys the gear change really tightens up - not unusable but its quite tight. I noticed after a recent run to a trial (40 miles) so decided to change all the fluids. Done G & T box and both diffs. I used ep 80-90 in the T box and Good quality ATF in the G box.

Thinking that all would be solved - especially after seeing the trickle of carp that came out of the gearbox - I did another run to another trial. No change, box still stiff when coming off the motorway and stays stiff for a good while until, I assume, it cools down.

Does anyone know what causes this? Is it something I can rectify?

Stu.

Thanks for that sage advice :blink:

It's a manual R380 (hence the stiff gearchange) - yes new fangled folk use MTF but historically its been ATF - it even says it in the Haynes book of lies.

Do you think swithcing to £40 worth of snazzy oil will do the trick?

Stu.

It's a manual R380 (hence the stiff gearchange) - yes new fangled folk use MTF but historically its been ATF - it even says it in the Haynes book of lies.

It also says so in the genuine bedouin LR manual. But LR changed their minds in 1996 in favour of MTF94. It is no coincidence that the Freeloader came out then and the oil was the spec for its gearbox. I managed to get a 20l drum but used it all up. So then I switched to Redline MTL which is a fully synthetic. Expensive, but gives a wonderful gearchange.