noobie defender tdi conversion :(

hi guys

i am looking for some advise with a potentially silly problem i have with my project defender, brought it as an incomplete non running wreck that previous owner had begun a conversion to shoe horn a 300tdi from a disco add an auto box and changed fuel pump to a non edc one with the 3 wire connection on top which i assume would be of a throttle pot in its previous install.

having rebuilt most of the wiring loom that went up in flames when i first tried to start it i have finally changed to fresh diesel and tried again just to know i have a running wreck would inspire me to complete it,

so far i have done as follows

drained cleaned and refilled the tank

drained and refilled fuel filter(currently using old one just for test purposes)

replaced stop solenoid on back of pump

turned key and after several attempts there was life.....ish

it will start willingly enough but refuses to idle, if i try to pick up revs it hesitates and then picks up and seems almost to be a delayed reaction between moving linkage(by hand i havend modded for cables either throttle or kickdown)

and generally sounds as ragged as hell.

i admit this is a barebones effort so might be something very simple i have missed there is no air box/snorkel on yet just the u-section pipe before the turbo, cooling system is fine oils are fine instant oil pressure intercooler is connected

can someone please put me out of my misery have i got something wrong or have i got a duffer? i realise there is an awful lot left to do but this is just soul destroying to me and i am not clued up enough to figure out the problem

thanks

i think i have this problem sorted now thanks,

timing was checked and found to be ok

fuel lines were checked and system re-bled

vacuum pipes checked

air cleaner box bodged into place with length of flexi hose

turned the key and it worked so unless i got visited by the mechanical fairys it must have been fuel orientated

what a relief to hear that diesel come to life like it meant it though

thanks again for the input guys

off to do some wiring and plumbing on it now i think :)

• 4 months later...