How many different fuel tanks were there for RRC?

I have converted an old petrol tank to diesel in my 72 rangie (fitted sender unit and fuel pickup/return pipes in the top) and I am having problems with it gulping air in on hard corners with under quarter of a tank.

I rememeber trying a tank from a fuel injected 1989 Rangie in my chassis and it didn't fit for some reason, the mounts were different from what I can remember.

Is there a tank suitable for diesel (or maybe EFI tank could be modded my removing the electric pump) Did they change the mountings on the chassis, if so when? Thanks!

I have converted an old petrol tank to diesel in my 72 rangie (fitted sender unit and fuel pickup/return pipes in the top) and I am having problems with it gulping air in on hard corners with under quarter of a tank.

I rememeber trying a tank from a fuel injected 1989 Rangie in my chassis and it didn't fit for some reason, the mounts were different from what I can remember.

Is there a tank suitable for diesel (or maybe EFI tank could be modded my removing the electric pump) Did they change the mountings on the chassis, if so when? Thanks!

Sounds like you need to build yourself a surge tank.

With a carb motor it does not matter whether the fuel moves away from the pump for a short time as you have a float bowl full of fuel to last you. EFI is different that it needs fuel from the pump all the time. The EFI tanks/pumps have a bowl at the base of the pump that ensures fuel is always there. You can get the same effect from making up a separate small tank just big enough for the fuel pump to sit in. Then supply this tank with a normal fuel pump from the main tank. This will stop the fuel moving away from the pump as there is nowhere for it to go.

post-21949-0-00160900-1306148975_thumb.gif

post-21949-0-84133100-1306148993_thumb.jpg

Also

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/V6_baja/September03.html

Will,

The 1991ish plastic tanked RRCs used quite a large fuel pump arrangment with integral swirl pot type thing, as shown on the RH side of the of Task's picture, the fuel return also feeds into this pot meaning you'll almost always have fuel supplied to the pump no matter what angle/G you are pulling.

I have one on the bench here with the fuel pump removed, and by extending the fuel pump hose to the bottom it would make a good system.

As you say though, the tank mountings may well be different.... which kinda scuppers the plans a little-the plastic tanked Rangies were high-filler, yours is of course low, and I am unsure if you could connect it all up....?

The earlier EFI pumps were much smaller, with no swirl pot, and no integral sender.

If you want a plastic tank just drop me a line, I have one sitting in the garden with a new (EFI) fuel pump in it.... and the associated OE tank guard.

What size hole do you have in the top of your tank at the moment?

Thanks. Current tank was one with no hole at all. I cut a 6 inch hole out of the top and welded the top of the Nissan tank to it, so that the whole nissan sender unit would work, along with the diesel pickup and return pipe.

cnrangetrol019.jpg

I got these to sit in the slight bowl shape in the bottom of the tank hoping that this would keep enough fuel around the pickup pipe but it doesn't. I think the main problem is the tank doesn't seem to have any baffles.

Patrols had a clever pot thing with ramps to let fuel in and not out or something, I think this was welded to the bottom of the tank so I didnt get it out. Maybe I could find one in another tank and fit it somehow. Don't really want to have to drain tank completely so i can weld it.

I needed the Nissan sender unit to correctly operate my fuel gauge on my Nissan dash cluster. The ohms were too far different from one sender to the other.

However I could install this in a different tank probably, as long as it had the top outlet.

I'm thinking I could try just putting a cup at the bottom from another vehicle, maybe a rangie/disco or something, anyone got one i can try? I saw a Nissan one today that was quite clever it was two concentric cups, each with a slot , but spaced 180 degrees from one another so the fuel couldnt get out of the cup on hard cornering etc

Unfortunately too large to go through the hole in my tank.