TD5 Coolant System Problem

Td5 head gaskets go between 70 and 90k typically. You may well not see signs when you remove it. Early td5 had plastic dowels to locate the head and gasket. Make sure you replace them with steel pegs, and ... MAKE SURE THERE IS NO BITS OF PLASTIC LEFT ON THE HEAD OR BLOCK! The plastic ones sheer, and if there is a bit left in the head/block, the steel one will not allow the head to torque down.

The symptoms you have are exactly that of a head gasket.

When you remove the gasket look at the it where it sits under the thermostat housing, and count the number of small holes on the tab at the edge of the gasket. There will be 1, 2, or 3 holes. Make sure you use the same type of gasket as they are different thicknesses and this is critical for piston clearance.

When you have the head off, replace the copper washers and O rings on the injectors. Not a big job, but you do need to rotate the cam a bit to remove some of the injectors.

When rebuilding, replace the injector harness. This should be done every 3 years to stop oil going down to the ECU. If you pull the red plug off the ECU under the seat and there is oil in it, give it a squirt out with brake cleaner before putting it back on.

When you fill the coolant system, put the heater to hot so water can circulate here too and not trap air. Fill until the water jets from the bleed screw on the top hose, then top off after a run.

It may also be an idea to replace the header tank cap.

Portalrover - torque of the north. www.portalrover.co.uk

Been reading through this thread with great interest after seeing a few odd and seemingly unrelated symptoms on my truck over the weekend.... wondered if anyone had any further opinions...

Having topped the coolant tank up on my 110, I smelt the unmistakeable smell of hot coolant having escaped from somewhere on the truck when I turned it off. I am pretty sure I didn't overfill it, and so long as I trust the gauge I didn't manage to overheat it.

The gauge starts at cold, and gradually moves to just before halfway, and stays there. It does not move beyond halfway ever.

When I investigated the smell, it would appear like the header tank has vented, as there was a tide mark around the outside of it.

I undid the bleed screw on the top hose, and got a constant stream of coolant there.

So, assuming the gauge works, and I haven't overheated, I need to check that the pump is pumping - as per the procedure above.

The truck has always 'used' a little coolant which I had put down to a weeping hose or similar, however it has never ejected it en-masse. It has always been checked and topped up a little, and is not down on power at all.

The vehicle has done 155k miles, and I have no idea if a head gasket has ever been done on it - it is long overdue however it it hasn't according to the ideas above.

Does anyone have any opinions based on these symptoms? Last time I had similar problems, of the coolant system pressurising it was a cracked head, but that was on a 300 that had most definitely boiled!

Cheers

Mark

Do you have bubbles in the expansion tank at tick over?

With the expansion cap lid on Can you compress the top radiator hose at tick over?

Mine was pressurizing the coolant system to such an extent I couldn't squeeze the hose together.

Hi Mark,

I had the same with my 2002 TD5.

It would show normal temp, but everynow and then would vent coolant through the expansion tank cap.

My turned out to be the head gasket failing due to the plastic dowels slipping. I would advise getting it done sooner rather than later as I left mine and eventually needed the head skimmed when I did get it done.

:( guess that's this weekends job then...

Ben, did you find yourself replacing anything else in the process of changing the head gasket? I am going to have to get it done this weekend as I need the truck working next week....

:( guess that's this weekends job then...

Ben, did you find yourself replacing anything else in the process of changing the head gasket? I am going to have to get it done this weekend as I need the truck working next week....

Mine was still under a warrenty so had it done at the garage.

They didn't belive it was the head gaskets so repleaced:

Thermostat

Rad

Water Pump

Then, finally, took the head off.

They replaced the plastic dowels with steel ones, and also I asked them to replace the injector wiring loom while they were there.

So, Loom and dowels shold be the only changes for yours. I have the invoice for £1300 if you want to have a look through

Would appreciate a parts list as there isn't a top end gasket set available from land rover.

I did the loom about a year ago, so I'm not going to replace that, but I will do the dowels.

Cheers

Mark