Front Axle

Chriso

Dear Forum,

My mate has just puchased a SWB series 3 which is on an A plate. My question relates to the front axle drive flanges: I had expected to see the usual floating half shafts with splined drive flanges, a castleated nut with split pin and dust cap. Instead there is only what I can describe as a similar arrangement to the rear axle of a 90 or disco/RR with the drive flange being integral with the half shaft.

I have never seen this before. Was it a standard fit on late series 3s and can free wheeling hubs be fitted?

Many thanks

Chris.

Sounds like an axle off an 'Airportable' otherwise known as a 'Lightweight'. The things were designed so that the Military could travel them in the Blackburn Beverly or something and the standard vehicle was a little too wide to get 2 abreast or something - so Rover designed the 'Airportable' the Military got C130 Hercules which were wider and then bought the Airportable.