articulation limit straps

gorgeous george

I would be inclined to take off the broken straps, and screw the retaining plates back into their location. It is not something you would know about unless you knew Land rovers intimaly, and even so if you have shocks with internal bump stops in, you don't need them anyway. Screwing the plats back in at least stops there being a large clean bit where 'something' has been removed...

Mark

I would be inclined to take off the broken straps, and screw the retaining plates back into their location. It is not something you would know about unless you knew Land rovers intimaly, and even so if you have shocks with internal bump stops in, you don't need them anyway. Screwing the plats back in at least stops there being a large clean bit where 'something' has been removed...

Mark

yeah good idea. although i am missing one rear bump stop too, so the same back wheel regularly comes off the ground when i go off road. do i need the bump stops?

yeah good idea. although i am missing one rear bump stop too, so the same back wheel regularly comes off the ground when i go off road. do i need the bump stops?

Depends on you shockers. Do they have internal bump stops in to stop them destroying themselves on full compression?

I would say generally, yes, you should have bumpstops...

Mark

mine hasn't got check straps on and i've never had any problems with mot

My IIA doens't have them on either, and I removed them from the lightweight, and never had an issue with MoTs on either.

Mark

i dont know if bumpstops come into an mot, but if u dont have them and your shocks can stand upto the pounding on full compression then it is possible to bend the shock mounts, i would advise to fit some bumpstops.

Chassis bump stops missing will fail the MOT, although I have on the odd occasion known a vehicle to still pass with one missing, but I think it was missed, rather than seen and still passed. Remains of check strap will fail under the 'if it's fitted - it must work' rule.

Les. :)

I didn't have rear straps nor bump stomps on my lwt and it passed mot. I have since tiffetd both.

The front looks like it has provision for strap but I've not come across straps for them - read somewhere that the front shocks have extension limits wheres rear ones don't hence the need for straps. Think the front has bumps stops too.....

Having said that, I drove offroad with no rear straps.bumps and don;t think I did any damage... :rolleyes:

whilst on the subject, can someone ecplain why the straps are different lenght? And it can't be bacuase of the position of the diff since that is able to move or is it?

The subject of strap lengths was recently discussed on LRO (I think). Shorter one on the drivers side because axle droop needs to be less on that side due to prop angle/brake flexi hose.

Les. :)

I hear you but surely the prop is able to move and it is not locating the axle in place? ^^^^ measn one side has more articulation than other????