P38 dash display

sean f

The LCD display on my dash has started playing up and half the screen is now too dim to be able to read.

I have a spare dash from a vehicle I am working on which was working fine, does any one know if I can just swap the dash units over or will this cause computer problems with things not speaking to each other. I don't have any form of diagnostics to be able to reset security things or reprogram bits.

Don't really care what the odometer reads at the end as both vehicles have over 200,000 miles on them so its a bit meaningless at that point.

Q Rover is right,there are three little bulbs to swop.Take out the instrument pack and swap them,no need to disconnect the battery,just wait a couple of mins after turning the ignition off and then you are safe to unplug the two connectors on the pack.Dont turn the ignition back on till the plugs are back in and it will be fine.

Thanks for the replies.

Didn't realise the LCD was powered by bulbs or changing them would make any difference. The illumination lights seem to work fine its the LCD that is to faint to read but I shall look at the bulbs any way as nothing to lose.

I shall dig the spare dash out and have a look at where the bulbs are then see about pulling the dash out and swapping the bulbs at the weekend.