Hello

kalookee

Hello everyone,

New to the site and was wondering if anyone knows a mobile mechanic in the Upminster Essex area.

My W reg freelander has some sort of electrical problem where it just wont start no noises nothing all dead. Then it will run with no problems. Appreciate its probably a wire or earth problem as battery good. So if anyone knows anyone please feel free to contact me.

Thanks in advance

John

On my Disco 2 I had an odd problem with similar symptoms. I checked with a voltmeter and power was going to the starter motor terminals, but nothing was happening.

I removed the starter (not an easy job on a Disco I can tell you!) and took it apart. It turned out that the thick copper wire that takes the power from the main battery connection to one of the internal terminals had come unsoldered from its post. Probably a bad joint to start with.

It was an easy job to re-solder the wire, test the starter with jump leads, and put it all back together again.

Somewhat cheaper than buying a replacement starter!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem on my '98 Freelander. Turned out to be grime in the ignition switch and was an easy repair. Pop the bottom shroud off the steering column, and unscrew the ignition switch from the back or the barrel. Unplug the multiplug and then using a tiny-weeny screwdriver, gently prise off the back of the switch. This exposes the contacts and you can then clean them up using some very fine emery paper or something similar.

Pop it all back together once cleaned and hey-presto, no more weird electrical problems!

Dan