300tdi oil burner?

Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new on here and need some advice...

I've rebuilt a 300tdi ex-airport 90 with 65k on the clock (m reg) - however it drinks oil! It is quite smokey on startup and when you put your foot down. I wasn't worrying too much but I checked the level lately and it was off the dipstick. Topped up 1L and still nothing, must have put at least 3L in till it came on the stick (oil pressure light works but never came on). I've not touched the engine in the rebuild, just a new lift pump and starter.

Was thinking of buying an old disco and swapping the engine but why install a 200k miles engine when my miles are so low? I know mine has been used for lots of short journeys which is probable cause for the undue wear.

I'm planning on the following....

New cambelt plus fan belt and tensioner

New piston rings and shells

New headgasket with valve stem seals etc (do they still come as a kit - paddocks???)

There is not a huge amount but quite alot of crankcase pressure when you take the oil filler off. The engine still goes like stink and will go over 70mph uphill.

Any helpful suggestions? I'm looking at standard sizes (piston rings etc) as I doubt this engine has ever had any work on it before.

Cheers!

Stu

Are you sure the problem is the engine? The oil seals in the turbo could make it smoke to. It is worth doing compression tests on the engine before pulling it apart as with the sort of mileage it has it's barely run in! :)

Oh and as a quick win check the cyclone breather is clean.

You wonder with just that mileage if it has just got a ring sticking. Pity you have just changed the oil, I would have tried a flush (I tend to use Forte) which clears things out a bit, before stripping it. Does it give out blue smoke if you rag it up a hill? Or on the overrun? I'd see if there wasn't a lot of oil in the intercooler,too.Probably never been cleaned out.

Nigel