300tdi auto gearbox

sargejnr

i have changed oil and filter and then my kick down cable broke so had a mechanic fit it and he told me the fibres are burning away, new oil went in after that and it is now starting to slip, does anyone know if an autobox from a v8 will fit a 300tdi?

I agree with "Old Hand" the ZF gearbox is a slug at best on the open road and a total pain in traffic -- unless of course you do a lot of off road sand driving where it comes into its own and cannot be surpassed.

The best thing about the ZF is you can put it in Low, select low range on the transfer box and walk along side the Disco to stretch your legs after a long days drive while it "idles" along side of you at arround 3-4 KPH

If you have to change it swap it for a R380 but make sure that if has the rear gear cluster cross drilled which improves oil supply to the output shaft and increases the output shaft spline life.

i have changed oil and filter and then my kick down cable broke so had a mechanic fit it and he told me the fibres are burning away, new oil went in after that and it is now starting to slip, does anyone know if an autobox from a v8 will fit a 300tdi?

Physically, yes it will fit. It's the same box, but the gear change points are set differently for petrol and diesel versions, to suit their differing torque curves.

So mixing and matching petrol & diesel units will likely give horrible driving results.