aux belt 300 tdi

trt1617

Evening all can any one tell me if there are 2 different belts that would fit a 1996 300 tdi engine as recently i replaced the bearing in the tentioner and fitted a new belt while i was there as the old one was a bit well alot ruined!! the new one that turned up was much tighter than the old one to get on.

Now i know the old one could have strecthed and thats fine but within a week of doing the belt my alternator bearings failed in a big way at the weekend leaving me stuck on the side of the road so got the alternator fixed today and just wanna know if there is a choice of belts that may fit my engine and the place just guessed on one and its to short maybe

many thanks

Yes there is

ERR3287 or PQS000030 fit the older engines with 61mm alternator pulley

ERR5911 or PQS000040 fit the later engines with 49mm alternator pulley

Later engines had a smaller alternator pulley to spin the alt faster and improve charging at low revs, the belt is slightly smaller on later ones due to the smaller pulley. Can't tell you offhand when the change point was but around 95/96 model year change I think. Easy to tell by checking the alternator pulley anyway. You will probably need the earlier belt (unless the early one had been incorrectly fitted by a previous owner and the bearing failure was just coincidence)

Yes there is

ERR3287 or PQS000030 fit the older engines with 61mm alternator pulley

ERR5911 or PQS000040 fit the later engines with 49mm alternator pulley

Later engines had a smaller alternator pulley to spin the alt faster and improve charging at low revs, the belt is slightly smaller on later ones due to the smaller pulley. Can't tell you offhand when the change point was but around 95/96 model year change I think. Easy to tell by checking the alternator pulley anyway. You will probably need the earlier belt (unless the early one had been incorrectly fitted by a previous owner)

thanks for that.

well i seem to have the smaller pully on the alternator so guess the short belt is the one i need then :)

Sounds like it... 1580mm for the short belt, 1595mm for the longer one. With mine there is almost no excess belt to pop it over the final pully (usually the water pump), just enough of course, but not enough to get a finger between the belt and the pulley.

Sounds like it... 1580mm for the short belt, 1595mm for the longer one. With mine there is almost no excess belt to pop it over the final pully (usually the water pump), just enough of course, but not enough to get a finger between the belt and the pulley.

Yea sound about rite then fits but its not really easy to get over the final pully :)