TD5 Discovery 2 Wobble !!!!!

kevrobbins

Hi all, my DT5 auto has developed a wobble /rumble, it was firs noticed at around 55mph to 65 mph but would clear above the higher speed..But today I had my trailer on empty & it felt like thewheels where egg shap or the prop or some thing was about to fly to bits & this was only at 10 to 15 mph/I have crawled underneath it to check prop uj's ect,Iv'e given the wheels a good shake, all the discs & pads have been replaced only a few weeks ago, so now I am at a loss...please help....

The double joint on the front propshaft would be my guess. If it gets some play in it you may find the propshaft can spin out of alignment (a bit like if it was badly bent) and create a vibration. When they let go it can be fairly exciting so I'd check it out. UJ's may be OK it's the joint between the twin UJs that you need to look at.

Sorry to disagree, but I found that my D2 had a low speed wobble and searched for ages looking for the problem, only for my mate to point out what looked like a missing wheel weight. He was right.

Sorry to disagree, but I found that my D2 had a low speed wobble and searched for ages looking for the problem, only for my mate to point out what looked like a missing wheel weight. He was right.

Interesting - never seen that before! I sell tyres for a living, among other things, and due to the low road speeds here - main road speed limit is 40mph - we don't bother balancing any of the wheels and tyres we sell and customers rarely have problems - wheel balance issues normally kick in about 45-50mph so you can tell the ones that speed as they often do get their front wheels balanced :)

I still think the prop is the most likely cause, either the double joint or the flexi doughnut in the rear propshaft if it has one (mental block at the moment and I can't remember!)

That's why I didn't check, and took virtually everything else to bits looking for the problem. Felt a bit daft when my mate pointed to where there was a wheel weight. Odd, maybe a quirk with the D2 or my vehicle. Don't know.

Having some tyres fitted to the rims for my fire engine today and told them not to bother balancing them because it won't be going far, or over 40mph!

It's hard on the forum to know what people are trying to describe though.

Try taking off the props, one at a time and test driving it. If you have CDL...odd that it's only happening with the empty trailer on though :unsure:

That's why I didn't check, and took virtually everything else to bits looking for the problem. Felt a bit daft when my mate pointed to where there was a wheel weight. Odd, maybe a quirk with the D2 or my vehicle. Don't know.

Having some tyres fitted to the rims for my fire engine today and told them not to bother balancing them because it won't be going far, or over 40mph!

It's hard on the forum to know what people are trying to describe though.

Try taking off the props, one at a time and test driving it. If you have CDL...odd that it's only happening with the empty trailer on though :unsure: