Brake Shoes for '87 Ninety

Morning all,

Last week I fitted a new pair of Bearmach shoes to my 1987 Ninety.

I had to modify the shoe with the pin for the upper spring as the pin was slightly misaligned and it fouled the adjustment snail cam, causing the shoe to lock against the cam when the hub was locked down.

It took the best part of 3 hours to find/fix that, so when I went to do the other side yesterday I knew what might happen.

Only yesterday I couldn't take enough off the spring pin without potentially compromising its strength, so I had to put the old shoes back on.

They are good enough, I only bought new shoes while I was buying new drums so its no panic

I know I have new shoes one side and old ones the other but both side have new drums so they are all bedding in anyway.

Anyway, to my question.

Are there 2 types of shoes with fractionally different spring pin locations, or are Bearmach now producing carp?

I ask because its been a long time since I worked on the Landy and I'm sure Bearmach used to be a decent name.

Thanks

IanB

Morning all,

Last week I fitted a new pair of Bearmach shoes to my 1987 Ninety.

I had to modify the shoe with the pin for the upper spring as the pin was slightly misaligned and it fouled the adjustment snail cam, causing the shoe to lock against the cam when the hub was locked down.

It took the best part of 3 hours to find/fix that, so when I went to do the other side yesterday I knew what might happen.

Only yesterday I couldn't take enough off the spring pin without potentially compromising its strength, so I had to put the old shoes back on.

They are good enough, I only bought new shoes while I was buying new drums so its no panic

I know I have new shoes one side and old ones the other but both side have new drums so they are all bedding in anyway.

Anyway, to my question.

Are there 2 types of shoes with fractionally different spring pin locations, or are Bearmach now producing carp?

I ask because its been a long time since I worked on the Landy and I'm sure Bearmach used to be a decent name.

Thanks

IanB

Most recent time I had to replace the rear brakeshoes on a 1988 90" I had to discard the first set as being quite a big bit too big to fit inside the drum. The next set fitted sort of ok'ish.

One set was TRW the other Mintex. Can't remember which fitted and which did not, but both manufactors are supposed to be as good as it gets.

Actually I've seen this quite a lot in recent years. It seems the quality of LR parts, handtools etc. even from formerly reputable manufactors are declining in quality.

It's really annoying because I'm quite willing to pay extra for a quality item, but quite often find myself unable to actually locate one.