McNamara vs RoverTracks

d-90

that is a good point, aren't a lot of F1 components designed with similar safety margins to fighter aircraft..? as little as 0.1 in some cases?

Depends on the items, most civilian aerospace spec-ed items are to the same standard as MIL spec, just that the part number is different and the supplier charges X amount more for the MIL part number. By making the part to the higher MIL spec, they only need to do one test rather than one test upto Civil spec, and then another upto MIL spec.

ETA circuit breakers, Leach relays, Amphenol connectors, Raychem or Rayfast et cetera follow this process to cut costs on testing, however I have been told by reps from these companies and others that they only supply Civil spec items to F1 teams as it keeps the costs down rather than the F1 teams paying for a Certificate of Conformity which the MIL system requires.

so, some will be to MIL specifications and sold as Civil, while others may not, depends how you read into it and what the supplier is spec-ing too.

I have to keep the axles looking standard for Belgian road test laws so have no option but to use Rover axle cases at least. And it was an interesting challenge, if a little pricey.

Your laws must be insane!

Is there no way you could use a uk car overthere but just bring it back here to mot and tax it once a year.

Hi Guys,

Freeagent, Sorry I was a bit touchy :) no offence taken or meant, your points were quite valid.

No clue where to go next for a rover type axle and shaft, Cry in a corner perhaps :) as you say non-variables are the problem if I need to improve now.

Bill,

I had no problems with my diffs as I run Quaife units,

I run 3.5:1 CW&Ps for strength and use a specially built Auto Box with special torque converter so can get away with the ratio.

I also have a Maxidrive 40% under drive transfer box and lockup TC so descents are no problem either.

CV's are now Ashcroft and before that they were KAM units, I never had problems with any of this kit but half-shafts! I honestly broke one every time I went off roading and most within 15 minutes of starting. I must have broken 15 or more and just got fed up with listening to peoples claims to be made of unbreakable "fairy dust" as Dolly would put it.

Lara.

Lara, I can't tell what engine or what size tyres you have, but I have never heard of any other vehicle,particularly one with auto trans that breaks so many halfshafts so quickly,even with a welded locked diff unless it has a seriously bent banjo housing or hub spindle (stub axle).

Bill.

Lara, I can't tell what engine or what size tyres you have, but I have never heard of any other vehicle,particularly one with auto trans that breaks so many halfshafts so quickly,even with a welded locked diff unless it has a seriously bent banjo housing or hub spindle (stub axle).

Bill.

Well Bill nor had I until I re-built the engine. Nothing too mega.

TD5 with long stroke crank, 2.8 litres, and lots more mods. 360 lb/ft torque at 2000 rpm, 40% under drive, 2.5:1 torque multiplying torque converter, 35x13.5 Baja Claw tyres.

But after that I snapped everything I put in until the new Maraging shafts.

I also have my own very modern fully computer controlled rolling road to measure power so absolute accurate numbers and no guessing. I think a lot of people don't really know how little power they honestly have and suppliers just quote customers.

Yes Dirty, our laws are insane and probably coming your way unfortunately.

I will register it in England if I get problems over here but for now I am OK ish.

Lara.