1994 Discovery Tranfer Case Cracked

jason moore

Hello to all, yes I just joined the asylum and bought a 1994 (5/94) Discovery. It has a 5 speed Manual Transmission. The transfer case is cracked and needs to be replaced I am having a hard time finding a used 1994 t-case. The person I bought it from said I could use one off any Discovery up to 1999. Is this correct? He also said the the t-case in it now is off a Defender 90. Lower gear ratio? How do I check to see if the is the case "no pun intended". This is the number off the side of the t-case 28D334601E.

Thank you~jason

Any LT230 transfer case will fit just the ratios are different. Your vehicle would originally have had a 1.22:1 high ratio, whereas most Defender t\boxes are 1.41:1 high range. Whether this is good or bad depends on the vehicle - fitting oversize diameter tyres may mean the lower ratio is more appropriate. Any box from any Discovery 1989-1998 should fit (though later is better) and any Defender box from a 300Tdi onwards, with the caveat about the ratios being different. Older t/boxes will fit right back to the year dot (1983 for a 110) but the ratios on those are often 1.67:1 which is far too low unless you are putting 37" high tyres on it :)

Somebody with a list of t/box prefixes will no doubt appear but they often have the ratio on a sticker on the box as well.

Ah now I see your location, can you confirm if it is a NAS spec vehicle as the info above applies to UK and export market vehicles which are mostly diesels. The NAS V8 Defender t/box may be the same 1.22 ratio as a Discovery, but I'm not sure.

Ah now I see your location, can you confirm if it is a NAS spec vehicle as the info above applies to UK and export market vehicles which are mostly diesels. The NAS V8 Defender t/box may be the same 1.22 ratio as a Discovery, but I'm not sure.

Yes it is a NAS gas V8 3.9L. I has oversize tires also I am running 235/85 r 16 and the truck has been lifted 2".

Is there any way to tell witch transfer case I have. The previous owner may or may not have put a t-case in form a 90 Defender?

Ashcroft have a list based on serial number:

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=45

Your serial (28D334601E) leads you to a 28D = 1.222

Assuming someone hasn't put 1.4 gears in it of course....

Normally an LT230 has a red/black sticker on it with the ratio, but I guess you haven't got this as you found the serial number, just not the sticker :)

As it is a manual you can basically fit whatever year LT230 you like to it, as above, and as you are only on 235/85 tyres a 1.222 ratio one will do fine, if you were on 33" or above then a 1.4 may be best -but sounds like you will have a hard time getting over there...

Ashcroft have a list based on serial number:

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=45

Your serial (28D334601E) leads you to a 28D = 1.222

Assuming someone hasn't put 1.4 gears in it of course....

Normally an LT230 has a red/black sticker on it with the ratio, but I guess you haven't got this as you found the serial number, just not the sticker :)

As it is a manual you can basically fit whatever year LT230 you like to it, as above, and as you are only on 235/85 tyres a 1.222 ratio one will do fine, if you were on 33" or above then a 1.4 may be best -but sounds like you will have a hard time getting over there...

Thanks all this info is very helpful.