expansion tank blew out...

richard1978

so, my erratic temp gauge when using electrics caused my complacency then... my expansion tank blew its side.

swapped it out and... holed radiator, swapped it out with new heavy duty one, changed the thermostat, it is still pushing out the water.

i am guessing head gasket so i whipped the head off.looks like my exhaust gasket had blew out a bit and was blowing on the cylinder head on the corner and made the head gasket go at the cooland gallery from cylinder. looks like it has been done before, i have had it for three years now, so it has done ok.

question is, what is the min clearance for the valves to the face of the head. like i said it looks like it has been done before as the bolts have been numbered but i dont know if the head was skimmed or if it was a new head.

any replies greatly recieved.

also, got a three hole elring gasket as that is what was on it, is the tightening 40Nm then 60 degrees, another 60 degrees then 20 more on the inner ones?

i get the head back today so i would like to fit it too.

cheers guys

Your torque values are as per the manual.

One little trick is to do them the 40Nm then mark the bolts with a chalk line - the same on each. Then you can easily see which bolts have been turned and by how much. This will come in handy if you get called away during the job and can't remember where you were. You don't want to re-do the angle on a bolt that has already been turned. You can re-torque a bolt but angle tightening is different.