ABS once again

DiscoHere

Hi all

The ABS on my 98 Disco is playing up again. The last time it was the ICU which I replaced with a 2nd hand one from the States. All worked well for a while but now I am having more lights on the dash.

This time however I am sure it is only the drivers side front wheel as that is the only wheel that locks when I apply the breaks hard on slippery surfaces to test it. The sensor seems slightly loose in so far as it doesn't take a great deal of effort to remove it from the wheel. All is needs is a little leverage with a screwdriver and then it pulls out by hand. When I reseat it the ABS works for a while and then (usually when turning left) indicates by way of the dashboard light that there is a problem with it again. Sometimes when the light is off the ABS kicks in when breaking and makes life interesting for a while.

I recently took it out and cleaned it and the housing thoroughly. I tapped it in fully with the aid of a light mallet and large screwdriver blade. Unfortunately this did shave a bit off the black plastic top and I am wondering if this is now an added problem or not

Anyhow I am wondering if the sensors themselves go or is it likely to be something like bearings or CV joint slightly out of kilter?

All suggestions welcome

Hugh

The distance between the sensor and trigger wheel is important - there is a low voltage pulse generated that tells the ABS that the wheel is turning. Inside the sensor is a very fine copper wire winding, which is what generates the pulse. Dirt on the sensor/trigger wheel can cause problems, as can the the trigger wheel coming detached from the cv (quite common on some Euroboxes).

Check the gap between sensor and trigger wheel, dirt on the wheel or sensor tip (they are slightly magnetic), security of the wheel, connection of the wiring.

Les.

As it seems to be a recurring problem, I would suggest that you may well have a bearing issue, allowing the CV joint to move, and therefore push the sensor out and away from the trigger wheel, causing your problems.