Sourcing electrical connectors

02jcole

I'm in the process of installing TD5 gauges, a MUD console and generally tidying up the wiring of my 1997 defender 90. I'm having difficulty sourcing two connectors which I require, I've tried all the usual suspects that I buy electrical components from (VWP, polevolt, autosparks,Rs, etc) but I've had no luck. The two connectors that I require are:

2 x pink plugs used in the back of the TD5 speedo, they look similar to an ISO plug used for wiring in a car stereo but the TD5 one is 10 pin not like the standard 8 pin ISO plug and it has a yellow bar to lock the terminals in to the plug.

I also require a male and female connector for wiring in the master light switch as a previous owner has chopped the connectors off and soldered the wires together :ph34r: The light switch and connector can be seen in my link below.

Light switch

James

I'm in the process of installing TD5 gauges, a MUD console and generally tidying up the wiring of my 1997 defender 90. I'm having difficulty sourcing two connectors which I require, I've tried all the usual suspects that I buy electrical components from (VWP, polevolt, autosparks,Rs, etc) but I've had no luck. The two connectors that I require are:

2 x pink plugs used in the back of the TD5 speedo, they look similar to an ISO plug used for wiring in a car stereo but the TD5 one is 10 pin not like the standard 8 pin ISO plug and it has a yellow bar to lock the terminals in to the plug.

I also require a male and female connector for wiring in the master light switch as a previous owner has chopped the connectors off and soldered the wires together :ph34r: The light switch and connector can be seen in my link below.

Light switch

James

The two 10-way ISO connectors can be bought here -

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/products.asp?section=CAR%20AUDIO&category=ISO%20Connectors

Connector shells and terminals are sold separately -

Male Accessory ISO Housing

An 10 way Accessory ISO block used for Accessory ISO connections such as CD Changers and displays. Requires M-55 terminals.

Part Code: M-53-1 (£2.50 inc VAT)

M-53.jpg

Car Radio connector ISO receptacles. ISO Receptacle that can be used with M-53-1 above. Wires can be crimpled into these receptacles and these clip into the housings.

Supplied as a pack of 10 - Part Code: M-55-1 (£2.50 inc VAT)

Supplied as a pack of 100 - Part Code: M-55 (£15.95 inc VAT)

M-55.jpg

The OE Land Rover light switch connector is made by Sumitomo -

headswitchconcontr.jpg . headswitchconswitch.jpg

A similar 4-way connector can be bought here -

http://www.kojaycat.com/Motorcycle%20connector%204%20way.htm

4 Way Tang Less Connector (4W-CNA-NAT)

Natural coloured connector is supplied complete with male & female terminals . It has 8 terminals at 6.3mm

4W-CNA-NAT - £5.85 +VAT

4%20way%20CNA%20con.JPG

BUT... The light switch connector doesn't need to be identical to the Land Rover (Sumitomo) one and could be replaced by any 4-way connector with 6.3mm terminals for a lot less than the one from KojayCat.

This one from Polevolt would do -

Ref: MC4KIT

Multiple connector kit 4 way

Supplied with 5 female and 5 male terminals.

Price each: (9 or fewer items) £0.80 (£0.96 Including VAT at 20%)

MC4KIT-195.jpg

Thank you very much for your excellent and speedy reply paul :D

Do you know where I could possibly source the Sumitomo OE connector from as I would like to keep the connector standard to aid replacement of the switch in the future. I don't mind paying more to get the correct connector, but I suspect it may only be availble in large quantities!

James :)

Thank you very much for your excellent and speedy reply paul :D

Do you know where I could possibly source the Sumitomo OE connector from as I would like to keep the connector standard to aid replacement of the switch in the future. I don't mind paying more to get the correct connector, but I suspect it may only be availble in large quantities!

James :)

Sorry, I don't know of anywhere selling them individually :(

If you could get hold a used one cut out of a loom, then new compatible terminals are available from a couple of sources.

If you know anyone with a Discovery II, then the Rear Fog Lamp Towing Cut Out Kit STC50181 uses the same connector, which is Land Rover part number - AFU3855 (not available as a spare part :( )

On the vehicle, an AFU3855 connector with a couple of loops of cable is removed from the rear loom and replaced with one with a relay which cuts the vehicles rear fog lights when a trailer with fog lights is plugged into the 12N connector.

The AFU3855 connector with the cable loops is thrown away.

STC50181 showing the AFU3855 connector -

STC50181-TOW-ELECTRICS-SOCKET-N-TYPE.jpg

I saw the kits at Billing a couple of years ago, Mailorder 4x4 (I think :unsure: ) had stacks of them for around £7.00

I wish I'd bought one at the time for my DII, as they're now nearly £40 :o

Although, there is this one on eBay for a bit less -

Discovery 2 Fog Light Cut Off Switch Towing STC50181

431708511_o.jpg