Clutch Slip

I have changed the salve and master on the clutch of my 110 tdi SW. The master cylinder was leaking. Despite adjusting the master cylinder rod and bleeding the system I now have a slipping clutch. Would putting in new parts bring a worn clutch to attention? Could the new master cylinder be faulty? Am I clutching at straws (sorry) because I don`t want to take the engine out?

Any views would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John

Apart from the clutch itself being worn-out, there are 2 things that could be worth checking.

1] Unscrew the clutch bleed-nipple - if you get a noticeable spurt of fluid, this shows that the master-cylinder isn't 'clearing' properly and it's retaining pressure in the system even when the pedal's fully released.

2] Undo the bolts holding the slave-cylinder to the bellhousing. If there's clearly 'something pushing the slave-cylinder away from the bellhousing' as you do this, then either the slave-cylinder is sticking or the actuating push-rod on the slave is adjusted too far out and is holding the clutch partially disengaged.

Do test [1] first. In my experience master- and slave-cylinders tend to fail together - I guess they don't always enjoy the disturbance caued by bleeding.

--Tanuki.

Thanks for your responses gents.

There was no fluid gush and the slave cylinder was pushed off but not markedly and it was fairly easy to push back on.

Strangely, I have a new rubber pipe that I never put on the old machine. I`ll give it a go after I`ve warmed up with a brew. It`s freezing up here today, even had to get the woolly hat out. Mind you,the first time I took the wife hillwalking was on an August Bank Holiday week-end and it snowed and that was in the North Pennines.

John

Thanks for your responses gents.

There was no fluid gush and the slave cylinder was pushed off but not markedly and it was fairly easy to push back on.

Strangely, I have a new rubber pipe that I never put on the old machine. I`ll give it a go after I`ve warmed up with a brew. It`s freezing up here today, even had to get the woolly hat out. Mind you,the first time I took the wife hillwalking was on an August Bank Holiday week-end and it snowed and that was in the North Pennines.

John

In the slave cylinder the correct one? like for like?