Separating 3.9 v8 and auto box

Tom1809

Getting ready to pull my v8 out of the scrap disco today and got slightly stumped by a neigh bough who demons he used to work for rover back in the 90's. He said to split the auto box and the engine I have to unbolt the torque convertor, and that there is a plate under neath to do this, problem is he's buffered off, I can't find the info on the web and i have the plate on the bell housing off and the little circle one of underneath. Now the question is, I think the bolts I have to undo are the ones where you got big holes in the flywheel and are a 17mm socket. Do I remove the sump to get to these or is it the little ones on the flywheel? Or do I even need to undo any of them?

Cheers tom

Unbolt small aluminum cover plate on the front of the bell housing underneath.

Have a look up inside and you will see a load of small-ish bolt heads near the starter ring -it's not these!

Look deeper, and you will see 4 ~ 17mm headed bolts, you undo these with either a slim 3/8" ratchet and 17mm socket, or an open ended spanner, undo one, rotate the converter, undo another etc etc untill a;; 4 are clear, the torque converter should now rotate independantly of the flextplate/start ring, if so undo all the bell housing bolts and job done.

If you get it wrong, it's no biggie, you just lose a couple of litres of ATF on the floor, and have to spend about 20 mins refitting the converter to the box -have as search if needed, this is covered by me and others elswhere on the forum.

HTH

:)

*edit* Hop it doesn't look like this when you get it out :)