Auto rad

andy 3

Good evening everyone was hopping for a bit of help I have a disco which I recently bobbed I'm having trouble with the auto box oil cooler filling with mud and getting to hot my question is were the rear windows are I now have steel plates insitu could I put an oil cooler in one of these steel panels with a fan be hind it to draw cool air over and would the pump in the box be strong enough to pump the ATF up that high thanks in advance for any answers andy

the short answer is no. The ZF pump won't do the duty, you will need to install an auxillary pump to cope with the additional lift and static resistance incurred in your pipework, the other problem you will experience is flooding the auto box with excess oil once the engine and pump(s) turn off, as the oil filter is well above th height of the gearbox the oil will flow back to the box with possible catastrophic results.

Work out a way to stop mud from getting into the cooler and radiator, it would be a lot easier.

Yes, you're right, the auto box ZF filter is in the pan, and the oil cooler is located at the front of the radiator and only slightly above this level, which is why the engine needs to be running with the box in "P" to get a correct oil reading, check it when the engine is off and you will note it is above the "Fill" line on the dip stick, but not so much as to cause damage to the box.

I still think your best plan is to eliminate sludge getting into the front of the Disco

I think you'll be OK. There are plenty of challenge trucks that run the cooler behind the cab or even where the heater box used to be on a 90. So the cooler is a lot higher than the sump. THey don't seem to have to many issues and will work their gearbox a lot harder than most people

the short answer is no. The ZF pump won't do the duty, you will need to install an auxillary pump to cope with the additional lift and static resistance incurred in your pipework, the other problem you will experience is flooding the auto box with excess oil once the engine and pump(s) turn off, as the oil filter is well above th height of the gearbox the oil will flow back to the box with possible catastrophic results.

Work out a way to stop mud from getting into the cooler and radiator, it would be a lot easier.

In my challenge truck i run a p38's cooler on my auto, above the height of the rear tray. No problems.

To the original post - if your cooler is getting that muddy that it doesn't work, what about your main radiator - surely that should be more of a concern ???

G

To zim that is my other concern will be swapping out 300 rad and fitting a 200 in it's place soon need to do something with auuo cooler as it just cost me another gear box so want to try and sort that first 

Changing the radiator wont resolve your problem, as "Old Hand" indicated once the radiator cores are blocked with mud no version of radiator is going to be any good, 300 or 200TDi.... :blink: How about fitting an allow baffle plate on the bumper to prevent mud from entering the radiator but still allowing air to pass arround it and into the grille ?