Clutch problems

Nine months ago, I had a shop replace the clutch, pressure plate and bearing on my '84 Defender that has a 300tdi and R380. Last Friday, I tried to shift into second coming out from a light and heard a clunk, followed by the clutch pedal seizing. I couldn't push it in. I had the Rover hauled to the shop where the previous clutch work had been done and here's what they found.

Nothing is broken. The release lever pivot post was worn. The clutch disk itself seems to be okay. The fingers of the pressure plate are now uneven.

Given that the pressure plate was new, how might this have happened? What the shop thinks is that the wear on the pivot post caused the release lever to move in more directions than it was supposed to, which eventually threw the release lever off. Do they have it right?

Thanks for any input.

The shop should have put some copaslip grease on the pivot point to prevent future wear. Damage to the rest of the clutch will depend on how badly it's worn. If the ball end is worn away then the fork will move to and fro, but the clutch sleeve should keep the thrust bearing in line with the clutch cover,

Les

Could be that when it was reassembled, one of the two 'slippers', on the clutch fork was misplaced/missing. this would cause uneven pressure of the release bearing against the clutch.

When the clutch was replaced the fork should have been replaced as amatter of course on the LT77 and R380 as they are a known failure point. Ideally, it should have been relpaced with a reinforced item, and the pivot post should have been inspected and replaced if it was worn. In my opinion, whatever the cause, they have a responsibility. The job couldn't have been 100% or it wouldn't have failed in the way it did.

Regards, Diff.