Battery Cut Off Switch

This has probably been covered before but I couldn't find anything.

I want to fit a battery cut off switch. Mostly because the previous owner fitted Disco seats in the 90 and to get them out requires undoing 4 bolts and then lifting seat and runners off and then you have access to the battery box. The quickest I have managed this is about 3 minutes, which wouldn't be a lot of use if there was an urgent need to get to the battery compartment. Additionally, when I'm doing normal maitenance its a pain to keep taking the seat out.

I have a twin battery set with an X-Eng 'any idiot can fit it split charge relay' and a switch to isolate the winch as and when required.

Where in amongst all this do i put a battery isolator and which cables do I need to wire it to and how? Diagrams or photos would be most useful.

Thanks for any help.

Guy

Cheers!

It seems I just need to cut the main power supply to the battery, recrimp a suitable terminal to link one end to the cutoff switch. The get another cable to link one end to the other end of the switch and have a battery terminal fitted on the other end to connect to the battery.

If anyone sees a problem is that, do tell :blink:

Guy

Errr......Yep

Read about the normally open and closed switch under the main switch, if you just turn the switch off with the engine running without these contacts, the alternator will spike and pop the diodes :huh:

Unless of course you stop the engine, then open the switch !

or only use it when you leave the vehicle !

Guy

which isolator have you got?

the big metal key one from fastlines, or a the plasticky jobbie?

if u need to see an installation then u can view my 90 , but its at Jasons place as i'm on hols and hes MOTing for me.....and probably nicking my bits off it as well!!!!

Thanks all!

Dave,

The Fastline one is isolating the winch. I have a plastic one (the one Phil was using to isolate the winch). All i want to do is have a quick way of isolating the battery when i want to work on the electrics (Phil is a man of many parts. Auto electrician is not one of them. Lovely cable runs though!!!!) without have to take the seat out everytime to disconnect the battery.

There is not enough room to fit another heay duty switch now anyway. I have plent of suitable cable, just non of it with a battery connector crimped on so I'll have to get Fastline to do that anyway although i do have those connectors with the additional ost on them which coneect to the battery in the normal way and connect the cable to the post.

I knew Jason had your motor. I've already had a few nice bits off it. he said you wouldn't mind :unsure: . as I was leaving some bloke turned up to collect the chassis :lol::lol::lol: .

Enjoy your hols!

Guy