Clutch?? judder

On a ’91 2.5 NAD Gen mileage of 60k. I changed the Clutch master and slave cylinder because of a slave leak, hydraulic oozing out of bell-house drain. While underneath I greased the UJ’s. Week later I started to get clutch judder when moving off . Ahh thought I, contaminated clutch plate but continued to drive it for 3 weeks. Didn’t improve so decided on a trip to a garage to confirm my guess, but I’ll just check the engine/gearbox mounts first. All looked ok and no movement with a crowbar, I’ll grease the UJ’s again while I’m underneath.

Today I started to drive to the garage and no clutch judder at all, so what’s your opinions,

Contaminated plate worn clean, UJ’s worn (no play when wiggling with a small wrecking bar), Coincidence? I guess I’ll just see how it goes but would be interested if any one else had a similar experience and the outcome.

Contaminated plate worn clean,

This is my guess. I have a similar, intermittent, but improving judder and have just replaced my leaky slave.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=70520

I think i had some involvement from my overdrive possibly, but i'm doubting this was much to do with it since finding the leaking slave cylinder. I dont know if it gets up on the edges of the friction plate and thus causes the judder, or whether it will clear completely. Fingers crossed it will, because i dont want to take the gearbox off again any time soon!

i too have a judder..as well as a squeal, when setting off in first gear! i originally thought dual mass flywheel for the judder, as apparently when the rubber starts to break up they can cause a judder..but then why the 'squeal', the squeal literally lasts 1 second as does the judder as i let the clutch up to set off in first with a small amount of throttle, i then thought clutch, but no problems at all in any gear at any revs apart from standing start....so i am reading this in hope that i mite be able to solve this problem by changing the slave cylinder but not to sure

reb78 i read the thread you linked to and jus wondered - you qoute "One other thing i noticed was oil on the bottom of the engine and bellhousing. My first thought was rear crank seal (oil on the clutch plate would explain the judder i suppose), but if i look through the drain hole, the flywheel is completely dry"...how did you check this? shining a torch up the drain hole?

how did you check this? shining a torch up the drain hole?

Pretty much. If there was oil leaking from there, it would probably be obvious. I was looking specifically at the outside diameter of the flywheel (since thats all you can see through the hole) to see if there was oil dripping off of it). However, as Mo said in the other thread, the oil may trickle down the flywheel housing so may not be obvious on the flywheel itself. The oil out of my bellhousing turned out to be clutch fluid.

With a squeal, i wouldnt expect oil contamination. I dont know much the dual mass flywheels, but perhaps it could be springs there, or the springs on the friction plate breaking up.