Air-con noises

chrispy

Morning,

over the weekend, while driving along with the air-con on, it started making a series of odd popping, whistling, slurping and plopping noises. Apologies for the rather poor description of the noises. Also, the temperature control has no effect on the air blowing out, it's always arctic.

Any clues to the noises and the lack of control would be welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

If I had a classic rangie with aircon that'd do 'arctic' I'd be feeling smug no matter what else it did...

Mine always did make strange noises. No control sounds like maybe a stuck/broken flap in the heater box? I'm not sure how the ducting for the air con is plumbed into everything else (it's a bit heath robinson), but a look at the workshop manual might give you some ideas?

It does do arctic, to the point where ice starts to form on the passenger side air vents. There is hardly anything coming out of the vents on the driver's side, so it could well be a stuck flap of some description. In fact not much more than a trickle comes out of the vent closest to the door.

It does still seem like the compressor is constantly running, so I think there is also a thermostat issue of some kind. People have mentioned that there is a thin tube running from the back of the heater control into the aircon, need to check that too.

Looks like a dashboard out job :(

Cheers,

Chris

It does do arctic, to the point where ice starts to form on the passenger side air vents. There is hardly anything coming out of the vents on the driver's side, so it could well be a stuck flap of some description. In fact not much more than a trickle comes out of the vent closest to the door.

It does still seem like the compressor is constantly running, so I think there is also a thermostat issue of some kind. People have mentioned that there is a thin tube running from the back of the heater control into the aircon, need to check that too.

Looks like a dashboard out job :(

Cheers,

Chris

I'd have a good look in the workshop manual and figure out where everything is first. It could be an electric issue - the clutch on the compressor is electrically operated. I've got the opposite problem at the moment - my clutch isn't engaging as it isn't getting a signal on the switch line. As a stopgap you can stop the aircon by disconnecting the clutch signal line near the compressor - obviously you lose aircon completely if you do that.

Probably time to get the multimeter out and do a bit of tracing, see where it's going wrong. You might be able to pinpoint the problem before you start taking anything apart.

Probably time to get the multimeter out and do a bit of tracing, see where it's going wrong. You might be able to pinpoint the problem before you start taking anything apart.

Sounds like the best plan, at the moment I switch it off by taking the fuse out.