Slight Vibration Under Power

disco_al

I have a slight vibration that can be felt under power, and cruising about 50 ish mph. It feels like it's coming from the front axle.

I have so far fitted a new front prop (old one had a knackered u/j when i bought the truck) & new front prop flange (managed to damage it when removing th old bolts - had to grind them out), but the vibes are still present. There is no discernible play from the output on the transfer flange.

The front prop is phased correctly (alignment marks are spot on), and everything else appears tight. Any ideas as to where to look next?

I know the rear prop is good, as i swapped it off my green one, which i didn't have any problems with.

My only concern is that the new prop was a britpart one icon_sad.gif supplied by our Bearmach agent.....next step is to either recon one of my spare fronts, or swap the one off the green one (which again didn't have any vibration issues)

Wheel balancing? - wheels are off the green one, which had no issues

Rubber Donut? - swapped rear prop & doughnut from green one to eliminate

Wheel bearings? - did wonder, as there is a bit of a drone, but from the rears more than the fronts

Suspension bushes? - possible, they did appear ok when i changed the suspension over

I've been trying to track down a vibration/drone on my Discovery for a while now. I keep hoping that whatever it is will just break and then I can fix it...

Today I put the Discovery over the pit and serviced it. Whilst swinging on the front shaft I made a note of the side to side play in the transfer box output shaft. I put the Defender over the pit afterwards and compared it. There's pretty much no play in the Defender whereas the Discovery has noticeable play.

Check your transfer box front output and see if it moves side to side. It could well be this that's causing the noise.