Steering column

Boro

Is the steering column shaft on a pre 85 in two parts (ie sliding) reason i ask is whilst changing the column to steering box linkage with the uj's on it the steering column slid down a bit as i pulled on the uj and just wondering if its normal or signs of another problem

• 2 weeks later...

They are NOT meant to slide. You applied too much pressure to the column while you were getting the unis off. The collapsable part of the column has a plastic pin it it that holds it together until you have an accident, then the pin shears. By pulling on it you have sheared the pin. I did the same thing when I first attempted to get those unis off. I now use a screw in the split on the uni (where the bolt goes through) to separate the uni before trying to remove it. To fix my steering column I found where the shear pin was suppose to be and replaced it with a bit of a plastic knitting needle the same diameter.

http://www.geoffrey-...ering/index.htm

From Range Rover workshop manual "CAUTION: The steering column is of a ‘safety’ type and incorporates shear pins. Therefore do not impart shock loads to the steering column at

any time."

I knew when i posted that i should have gone into more detail... what i read made no mention of pins but it makes sense, it did say the inner steering column was made in two parts so that it could slide, whether the pins on mine where intact to start with i dont know im hoping to change it shortly as the lower bearing has rather a lot of play in it, although the bearing is available that link of yours says that it is "not permitted to be overhauled" which i find odd