behind dash wiring 200tdi

Hello

I started fitting my new dash, and am in the process of identifying all the wires behind the dash. I've found a rubber connector with 9 points on it, the rough pinout is as follows ( '( )' indicates a female connection and 'o' a male).

1--2---3--4--5

( ) ( ) o ( ) ( )

( ) ( ) ( ) o

6---7--8--9

I've managed to work out the wiring is as follows

1 = switch feed from sidelight for gauge lighting

2 = constant 12v (Really fat wire)

3 = earth (also very fat)

4 = switched 12v from ignition, has a seconded short length of wire with what look like a bullet style connector

5 = constant 12v

6 = Fuel gauge sender

7 = temp gauge sender

8 = earth

9 = unknown

I trying to figure out what fuse the lives are rated too, as pin 4 wire seems a lot smaller then the constant at pin 2. I’m concerned as the diagram I’m following recommends the switched live be 10amp and constant be 5 each. I don’t want to connect up the new dash and start a fire!

I tried looking at the fuse panel, and what it shows does not seem to tally with the actual fuses behind it. I've also tried tracing the actual wire, but finding with my colour blindness it a real struggle to ID the wire colours. I've look at the Haynes 'Book of lies' Manual at the wiring diagrams and can't fathom that out either.

My next step was to try using a multi-meter and remove each fuse one-by-one till I found the circuit I needed, although it now getting too dark to work so will have to attempt that tomorrow.

Does anyone know what amp fuse the wiring is connected to?

I’m also curious to know what the unknown pin does on my connecter. It has a wire coming off but it is not live.

Thanks in advance, I’ve been trying to fathom this off and on over the last 2 days as any help would be most appreciated

Cheers

P.S. forgot to mention, its a '93 200tdi 90 pick-up

Edited by The Suffolk Ram

Yeah, I’m just slightly thrown by the difference in wire size (it’s a noticeable difference) on the feeds, with the permanent being bigger than the ignition. But looking at the wire on the old loom I took out, that appears a normal size. I’m beginning to wonder if the wire been replaced at some point or they used a thicker grade for some reason when it was built.

Does the td5 dash really draw that much current? It seems quite excessive!

When you fitted yours, did you use the existing wire? or did you run a new length in?

I used the vehicles existing wiring & obtained a matching plug for the Td5 instrument pack socket, with both wiring diagrams 200Tdi & Td5 is easy to work out where the wires need to fit.

the dash wiring supplies current to the gauges, illumination, speed transducer & warning light panel

lots of us on here have contributed to the 'wibbly wobbly speedo' thread & finished with successful conversions.

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve not done a lot of car wring jobs like this, so I’m just a bit paranoid about getting it wrong!

I now feel more confident, I think I will still try and track down the wires to the fuse box with the multi-meter to be 100% sure and completely put my mind to rest. But I do appreciate all the help I’ve had on this forum!

Thanks for your help!