Light switch electric change

Noel Colledge

Hi

I am looking to do away with the 6 way switch in a 1992 D90 FFR and just use a conventional light switch on the steering column. ( Side Lights, Dip and Main beam, Instruments ) I am not an auto electrician and don't want to cut and splice wires without knowing what I am doing and therefore create other potential electrical problems later.

Can someone please help me to identify which wires I need to connect to where and the correct size cable I Should use.

I have removed the convoy lamp from by the Rear X member already.

24V electric facility has already been removed before I purchased the vehicle if this has any bearing

Thanks for you help

Hmmm, I found a load of stuff about this including wiring diagrams... hang on a sec... here's a wiring diagram for starters, assuming the lighting circuit similar/the same as the series vehicles (LR carried on using standard wiring colours for years):

post-4193-0-99650300-1320676008_thumb.jpg

Clearly you need to be able to read a circuit diagram, if you can't then , as above, leave it well alone!

Looks to me it's like this :

• Plain red is front side lights
  • Red w/Black is tail and number plate lamps
  • Plain purple is lights 'feed' and this is switched between dip and main on the stalk obviously.
  • Brown/Yellow is the main feed to the lighting switch, so take this to your switch.

Now the question, why? If the switch is dicky, get a can of contact cleaner from your motor factors, remove the switch, and squirt it into every hole you can find (on the switch!) working it all the time, I need to do this fairly often after the Lightweight has been laid up, but never fails to sort it, and keeps it sorted whilst in regular use.

Even replacements can be got for ~ £30 on ebay.