Wipers packed up on 'fast'.......

96 300tdi... any ideas..??? i have had the binacle out, as i have just swapped the steering column, but i didn;t unplug the switches......... as i couldn;t,...... is there a resistor somewhere that controls the power sent to the motor or what..???

A link to a wiring loom may assist.........

Ta.

Hmm, when did they change the internals of the wiper motor then? On my 1995 300Tdi and just about every Lucas wiper motor that dated back to the 1960s, the fast speed was obtained by having a 3rd brush on the motor that was offset about 25 degrees from one of the others. That was the only change between a single and dual speed motor which also meant you could easily convert a single speed to dual speed by just changing the brush plate.

The circuit diagram shows a "conventional" 2 brush motor and a resistor switched in to provide the lower speed. Ironically, the technical description matches how the 3 brush motor works, not the effect of the resistor.

I assume the resistor is internal to the motor - if that's how it really worked on later motors - fitting a new park switch will have no affect as that is something different.

I would check for volts on the blue green wire at the motor end. If that is ok, the motor is duff - either resistor burnt out - probably non replaceable or if you have the 3 brush version, I bet the 3rd brush has worn out. If that is the case you can repair it as brush plates are still available.

As far as i can tell, the connedctions at the switch are all connected, and 'look' ok..... odd though that i've just had the instrument panel and column switches off then this happens, i had the battery disconnected whilst taking it apart etc, so i can't have inadvertantly shorted something across that shouldn;t be, when i had the motor connector off i did check and another one of the terminals becomes live when the switch goes to 'fast', so like i say that leads me to suspect the motor........

so, i had a quick look this aft, it dawned on me that the best place to check for power would be the three wires going into the motor from the park switch. I had one earth. And power to one cable on slow, and power to the other on fast, so i have now ordered a new motor, i could have got the brush plate, but would rather have a whole motor. . . I know what i.ve got that way. . .